Mercury=Hybrid/Diesel/Euro

We are all aware of Mercury's past role in the Ford family. Since Mercury's birth, the question has always been, "What is a Mercury?" the answer has always been "A gussied up Ford.".

My idea for anyone in authority at FMC is that Mercury be everything that Ford & Lincoln are not.

Mercury should be:

The Hybrid division.

The Diesel division. (Cleaner diesel is on its way this year)

The European chassis and styling division. (Think Euro Focus and the ability to get a decent manual trani)

Make Mercury a niche brand with a maximum of 300,000 vehicles per year. Absolutely no more, despite whatever demand may come forward. Command a premium price, by limiting production. Their would be obvious hurdles to overcome, such as the currency exchange between the Euro and the US Dollar. Engineering the vechicles for Euro & US crash tests/emissions.

However, the benefits would be huge. Limited production, premium price, unique vehicles targeting both the environmentalists and the euro wannabees, of that much sought after "younger buyer". Advertising could be hammered home that Mercury is "Environmental Elegance with a European Flare".

We all realize that the Hybrids are not the most fuel efficient vehicles on the road. However, we must compete with Toyota and Honda. Diesels are cheaper to produce, maintain and offer far superior gas mileage. European chassis are what even the Japanese claim to have in their cars. European styling is subjective, but you have to admit, they are not afraid to push the envelope. One simply has to look at Renault/Peugeot, Opel (GM) and the most recent Fords, to understand that they are each unique in their styling.

Does anyone agree/disagree or have any opinion.

Edited by Cars Are Not Appliances!

I like the way you have chosen to differentiate Mercury from the rest of the company. I disagree with limiting the number or at least the number you have chosen. I would like to see Murcury be the Murker from the early 90's, if done right. I think this is the best plan I have seen or hear of for Mercury.