Extended Warranty for 2009 Escape

DaveJ

Hello everyone,

Just last week we became owners of a new 2009 Escape Limited, V6, FWD. So far, I really like this CUV and it clearly shows how Ford has improved it's quality over the years. I found this forum today and it looks like a great place for learning and sharing information.

My dealer's offering to sell me an extended warranty at their cost. I'm thinking of extending the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage to match the powertrain (5 year/60,000 miles). What do you think of Ford's Premium extended warranty coverage? I know some extended warranty plans aren't worth much when it comes to making a claim.

I typically keep my cars 3-4 years, but, I'll likely hit 36,000 miles in less than 3 years.

Thanks for your comments.

Dave

Compare the so-called "at his cost" price to fordwarrantys.com. More info on this thread: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=30415

Thank you so much CoalMiner for the warranty info. Fordwarrantys.com has great prices and I'll probably buy an extended warranty from them. I can't say for sure if their prices were lower than my dealer's prices because my dealer didn't write down the deductible for the prices he gave me. I seem to think he said it was for a $100 deductible, and if so, fordwarrantys.com price is $175 lower than my dealer's "cost".

I would still like to hear from people that have actually used the Ford extended warranty and if they're satisfied with the coverage. I've read many horror stories how extended warranty providers do everything they can not to pay.

CoalMiner, just a quick follow up to my last post. I checked with my dealer again about the pricing of the Extended Warranty and the deductible quoted was $100. So, fordwarrantys.com price is $175 lower, plus the email promo of $185 off, for a total savings of $360 as compared to my dealer's "cost". Thanks again!

Why not make the same bet Ford does? That the covered repairs after the 36,000 mile warranty expires will be less than the extended warranty sales price.

Ford makes money on these even after a big sales commission is paid. Extended warrantees are a form of insurance, and regulated as such. You are just insuring yourself against big repairs, and I always make the same bet they do. I would only buy the extended warranty if I couldn't afford to repair the car, but could afford to build in the insurance coverage into my budget. Look at it just like any other insurance product....health, collision, homeowners, etc. Some things you insure, and some things you self insure, is way I lok at it. Besides....you don't keep a car long enough to wear much out.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Look at it just like any other insurance product....health, collision, homeowners, etc. Some things you insure, and some things you self insure, is way I lok at it. Besides....you don't keep a car long enough to wear much out.

I have a slightly expanded take on this, and your last statement confirms the idea.

1.)The warranties are transferable to a new owner (for a $75 fee), and optionally, you can get a pro-rated refund when you and the vehicle part ways, ie, when you sell it. That makes two things work in your favor when you sell the vehicle: You remove any reluctance a buyer might have on the "used vehicle/might need a lot of maintenance" syndrome, and you can command a slightly higher price when selling to a private individual. For example, two identical used vehicles are listed on eBay or CraigsList, one is described as "well maintained", and the second one described as "well maintained, comes with balance of extended warranty". Which one would inspire more trust if you were buying?

2.) The original poster did not specify that he bought a hybrid escape. In my case, I did. There's a lot of technology in these vewhicles, even excluding the 'unique hybrid components' (which are warranted for 8/100 or 10/150 depending on which state you live in), and IMO the extended warranties are a good deal on these.

After checking with my dealer today, he said the fordwarrantys price is below their cost. The best they could do was match it, and since he wasn't making any money on it, he didn't care where I bought it.

I spoke with fordwarrantys and the rep was very helpful and pleasant. I ordered it online and within a few hours I had confirmation of coverage, with paperwork to follow within 14 days. It as a good and easy experience buying the contract through fordwarrantys.com. Thanks again.

Dave