Bill Elliott crashes in speed record attempt

chuck zepfel

Yesterday Bill was trying to break his 212MPH qualifying record he set at Talladega some time back but this time in a Mustang FR500C modified to run on E-85 fuel prepared by Brent Hajek. With rain at the track most of Wednesday, they felt that they had a good enough window late in the day to attempt it. I believe I read that he had it up to 174 MPH in an early lap before blowing out a tire hitting the outside wall and doing quite a bit of damage...he was uninjured. It supposedly was a fast enough speed to set a record with a vehicle using E-85 on a NASCAR course.

Here is a link to see it in the garage and one of the laps, but understandably, not the crash. Even on E-85, it sure sounds mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgjrO7Mn2tU

ChuckZ

• 4 weeks later...
Yesterday Bill was trying to break his 212MPH qualifying record he set at Talladega some time back but this time in a Mustang FR500C modified to run on E-85 fuel prepared by Brent Hajek. With rain at the track most of Wednesday, they felt that they had a good enough window late in the day to attempt it. I believe I read that he had it up to 174 MPH in an early lap before blowing out a tire hitting the outside wall and doing quite a bit of damage...he was uninjured. It supposedly was a fast enough speed to set a record with a vehicle using E-85 on a NASCAR course.

Here is a link to see it in the garage and one of the laps, but understandably, not the crash. Even on E-85, it sure sounds mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgjrO7Mn2tU

ChuckZ

Wonderful sound!

I can't rememeber where, but I heard some FoMoCo representative say that Ford makes a pretty good profit on the FR500