TCAP Potential

Public Relations, GOOD public relations, difficult to attain and even more difficult to retain. Ford's/our current "way forward" includes environmentally-friendly, ecologically sound, green vehicles as well as operating facilities. Thus, envision this future:

We are standing on the recently refurbished FORD bridge, which connects Mpls. to St. Paul. We overlook the mighty Mississippi river, which is flowing over the FORD dam and in turn churns the generators in the FORD hydro-electric energy plant. Not a wisp of pollution is seen from this hydro-plant as it supplies clean, sustainable energy not only for the FORD assembly plant but for thousands of Minnesotans as well. As we stand on this bridge and look through the clean air, we can see the newly retooled/refurbished "green" assembly plant. Similar to the Rouge, TCAP has the natural "live" roof, eco-friendly parking lot and of course the recently built training grounds covering the front of our building. The only assembly plant in the world that not only is itself environmentally-friendly but also generates its own pollution-free energy.

Add to this a product to assemble that also is "green" or at least economical, and the public relations possibilities are endless. Expensive? Probably, but as an investment for the Way Forward it only makes sense. What are your predictions for energy prices in the future? At TCAP these costs will remain level. Environmentally-friendly, ecologically sound; looks like GOOD Public Relations to me and a giant step going the Way Forward.

Public Relations, GOOD public relations, difficult to attain and even more difficult to retain. Ford's/our current "way forward" includes environmentally-friendly, ecologically sound, green vehicles as well as operating facilities. Thus, envision this future:

We are standing on the recently refurbished FORD bridge, which connects Mpls. to St. Paul. We overlook the mighty Mississippi river, which is flowing over the FORD dam and in turn churns the generators in the FORD hydro-electric energy plant. Not a wisp of pollution is seen from this hydro-plant as it supplies clean, sustainable energy not only for the FORD assembly plant but for thousands of Minnesotans as well. As we stand on this bridge and look through the clean air, we can see the newly retooled/refurbished "green" assembly plant. Similar to the Rouge, TCAP has the natural "live" roof, eco-friendly parking lot and of course the recently built training grounds covering the front of our building. The only assembly plant in the world that not only is itself environmentally-friendly but also generates its own pollution-free energy.

Add to this a product to assemble that also is "green" or at least economical, and the public relations possibilities are endless. Expensive? Probably, but as an investment for the Way Forward it only makes sense. What are your predictions for energy prices in the future? At TCAP these costs will remain level. Environmentally-friendly, ecologically sound; looks like GOOD Public Relations to me and a giant step going the Way Forward.

There is one giant flaw in this scenario... it would require Ford to put money where it's mouth is and everyone knows talk is cheap.

I agree. What is the public to think when they see Kermit the Frog praising our "green" Way Forward, and then the boys at HQ close their arguably "greenest" plant. I wonder how much market share could be gained just from targeting environmentalists/eco-conscious consumers. Retooling and "greening-up" TCAP just seems like a logical, smart, business savy move. Also, it sounds as if the state of MN would cover a large portion of the costs, so it seems this would be somewhat financially efficient for Ford. Just the energy savings alone should make this project a done deal. Looks like it could be a win-win situation for everyone involved.

Hello is anyone out there.

You folks need to come up to the surface and get some air. Ford doesn't care about you or your plant and it is not on the "A" list. It will not be saved.

Next to Atl. your river front property is the most valuable piece of land that Ford land will take over. The hydro plant will stay and support the new development and any excess power will be sold to the grid. Getting rid of an assembly plant in trade for for a multi use river front community is going to happen. All of you should start to max out on you education benefits and save as much money as you can. Make a plan for 3 years out. Stop wishing for something that is not going to happen.

I'm truely sorry for you and this company. It has chosen to contract and not fight for market share and more profits but that's the way it is. We at Wixom went through the same hope and we are NOT going to be around to much longer. If you have the opportunity to transefer and the the situation is ok for you and your family dont hesitate, make the move and start over. Go for it and good luck.

Hello is anyone out there.

You folks need to come up to the surface and get some air. Ford doesn't care about you or your plant and it is not on the "A" list. It will not be saved.

Next to Atl. your river front property is the most valuable piece of land that Ford land will take over. The hydro plant will stay and support the new development and any excess power will be sold to the grid.

Butthead..... living up to your moniker I see.

I'm not really sure what you mean about coming up to the surface for a breathe of air. As I read this comment it is simply saying that Ford missed the boat yet again. It could be interpreted to mean that even though Ford has proclaimed the enviorment, or enviormrntal issue to be important or even pivital in their way forward they seem to have forgoten that action speak louder than words and we see what their actions are.

I agree that the land is of value and I believe there was some awfully high politics going on behind the scene that will prohibit this plant from ever having hope but I have been told that the Hydro will revert to someone elses control once the plant is closed. I would think Ford has addressed this issue before closing the facility but I haven't seen anything to support this line of thought. It has to due with the location of the power plant being within a protected National waterway... or something, I really wasn't paying all the attention that I should have been but there is clearly an issue as if Ford will retain control once the plant is gone. I wouldn't expect the parties who will benifit from recieving the Hydro to say much until TCAP is closed.

Whatever, Fresh air and fresh thoughts. You are right about the power plant. Ford will sell the power plant to someone who has the ability to clear all the hurdles. Maybe Excelon, maybe DTE Energy Services. Both of these companies have been buying the assets of maunf. plants that are closing and that have co-gen operations. They refurbish, install new management and hire Stationary Engineers to run the places.

As for the employees at the plant, Get ready for the closing, if it happens you will be ok, if it doesn't you will be set for a very long time.

FYI 430 at wixom took some kind of buyout, 90 were skilled trades. More would have gone but there weren't enough packages, we're still making TC. June 1st and they are gone.

I really don't have any hopes of our plant staying open. I was just sharing my opinions on how I think Ford missed out on a great opportunity concerning TCAP. And yes, I realize Ford has great opportunities with other plants that are slated to close as well. I just wanted to point out what I see as mixed messages about being green, producing alternative fuel vehicles, and being concerned with sustainable energy supplies. Then they close a plant with possibly the best chance to address all of these concerns. I'm guessing the decision came down to location (or is it something to do with LAP being the home plant of a certain president)? Would be nice to get some real answers to their decision making process when it comes to closing plants.

I read a lot about NAP's union and local government trying to save their plant . Here at TCAP you dont hear a word. I'm glad the local Union isn't providing the membership with false hope. Unlike the two clowns running Nap's union our Building Chairman and President are doing an excellent job looking out for the membership, they don't know much about the buyouts yet but we have confidence that they are looking out for our best interests. Thank you Jim Eagle and Rob McKenzie. As for St. Paul's Mayor or the Governor begging and pleading to save our plant I don't think it's going to happen. I'm glad because it wouldn't matter and at least they are showing some pride. We wanted Hybrids at TCAP and they will be here, Hondas and Toyotas parked in the garages of the new condo's that will be here soon. I hope the people who want to transfer can and the rest of us get a buyout. Its been a fun ride

I'll tell you how Ford and the state of Minnesota are really missing the boat here. In Jordan Minnesota a few years back, Excelsior-Henderson built a new plant for motorcycles that had everything including a paint facility. Would it have needed some modifications? Most likely. Does it have any room for expansion? Fields all around it. Does it have an infrastructure? Right on Hwy 169 and has several railroad tracks going right by it.

It is now owned by some alfalfa processing business or something. Could a deal still have been worked out for Ford to use that facility and keep the hydro, selling electricity back to whomever and purchasing what they need, or swapping? Of course.

The benefits for Ford are plenty of room for expansion and a train workforce. The benefit for the workers is not having to leave Minnesota... if they even can, many will have to find other jobs. The advantage for Minnesota is the taxes, both direct and indirect. The benefit for the Jordan area would be that many of the people who work at Ford in St. Paul would probably need to move since it would be another 30 miles for those who live in the north part of the cities or in Wisconsin. For the Wisconsinites it might make their 45 min Drive into an hour and a half depending on traffic.

Ford could have still brought in the hybrids, or E85 which is being sold at many places in Minnesota right now. They still would have the hydro for their ecology campaign, and they could put a "green roof" on whatever expansion they needed.

I'll tell you how Ford and the state of Minnesota are really missing the boat here..... They still would have the hydro for their ecology campaign, and they could put a "green roof" on whatever expansion they needed.

My friend, it's over

Lets look at the facts

1. Bill Ford has backed down from his former "Mother Earth" image

2. When Bill Ford took over I remember him being interviewed and being asked when Ford will pass GM and be #1 for the first time since the 1920's

3. Now the journalists who predicted this are so embarrassed by their predictictions they have an eternal hard-on for Ford and especially Bill Ford.

4. Some of the last few pictures I have seen of Bill Ford the stress is taking a toll on him, he is starting to look like Rodney Dangerfield.

5 Now we have Mark Fields to deal with and he is looking at nothing but numbers and cut cut cut. Hey Mark ,do you ever wonder why the State of Minnesota hasn't been offerring the moon to keep TCAP open since you decided to close it? They know how valuable the payroll is but they have been burned by flakey management before, just look at NWA across the river.

6. Ford tried to get other people to take Fields job and possibly Bill Fords job but no one would would touch it so we are stuck with Mark Fields for now.

7. Mark is going to do the safe thing and not look at other factors besides age of the facility and how close to Dearborne it is because he is no Carlos Ghosn in fact I think he used to play Uncle Jesse on Full House with Mary-Kate and Ashley.

Many other plants have come and gone since we opend in 1925, there was a reason we stayed open and it wasn't just the hydro plant. Lets just be thankful that we are in an area where this is just a small part of our economy and we can move on with our lives.

I am still glad I came to work at Ford TCAP, it's been a great experiance

Thank You

My friend, it's over

I am still glad I came to work at Ford TCAP, it's been a great experiance

Thank You

I used the past tense in most of the post. I saw the first sentence but opted not to edit it since they are still missing the boat.

Uncle Jesse
:beerchug:

I read a lot about NAP's union and local government trying to save their plant .
:kissass:

I think the thing that bothers me the most right now, is the fact that our governor and mayor went from talking about the "loss" of our plant, to within the same breath, talking excitedly about the "million dollar condos" that will have the beautiful view of the Mississippi River. I think Gov. Pawlenty waited far too long to actually do anything to help us, he promised us several years ago that a task force was in operation and working on our future. Then we heard no more, til just recently, and we all know this is an election year. As for Mayor Coleman, all I heard from him was about real esate opportunities for our precious land.

Apparently we are an eyesore, a massive industrial complex in the middle of beautiful, million dollar homes, wonderful parks, and of course, the mighty Mississippi, which powers our plant and the surrounding area. I have just one thing to say to that - look at the photos of the same area in the early 20's, and tell me what you see. Farmland. Lots and lots of farmland, and then, in 1925, our plant. Before they started neglecting it, our plant was quite majestic. EVERYTHING else came to surround this plant, and now, it's in the way. What a shame it has to end this way. Ford and the politicians will get their way, the land will be sold and chopped up for townhomes, etc. All we will have is memories. I'm still glad I work there, I've met some of the best people by working there, and I have GREAT memories of my 18 years there. I guess I just don't want to let go.......

Yes Mav, working at TCAP for the past 14 years has been great. Great people, great environment. It seems now that all the political talk from the mayor and gov. were just lip service. Probably just wanting the votes as our local did back Coleman. Still is difficult to put an exact WHY our plant was chosen to close. Chicago and the Rouge were just as old and Ford pumped millions to retool those plants. Governor had stated that money wouldn't be a problem to save our plant, which could have meant a retooling as well as a supplier park. It just seems logical that with our hydro-plant and the cost of energy our plant could assemble a vehicle cheaper than any plant in the Ford system. As far as our plant being in the middle of a neighborhood, everyone that I have heard from that lives in Highland Park loves being our neighbor. Something just doesn't seem on the up and up about Ford choosing this plant to close. Hope one day to find out exactly why so I can be pissed at the right people.

Some of the people who grew up in the Highland area are less than thrilled about the plant closing. Many in the area like the small town feeling of the Highland area and feel the Ford plant keeps it that way. With all the plans for the land they are afraid their "small town" will boom with the new condo's and new shops, and amount to far more traffic than they have coming and going right now. The Plant has heavy traffic 3 times a day, in the future it will be anytime, all day long.

Just wondering - has anyone heard from or seen our plant manager since that weird video recording of his after the first announcement in January? He seems to be in hiding. Or maybe he's already moved on. Wouldn't you think he'd make some sort of statement, at least to the employees? :shrug:

That's a great question. Where has Jerome (plant manager) been? Maybe he was taken by surprise like the rest of us and thus has no answers for now. It would seem appropiate that a person in his position would at least address the announcement in some way. So far he seemed like a pretty decent guy so I'll cut him some slack for the short term, but at least a pat on the back or an "I'm sorry for the situation" would do wonders at this point. Concerning the distance of plants to Dearborn, what is the mileage from Kansas City, Louisville, and Chicago?

:titanic: : Plant Manager was last spotted leaving the parking garage at 4:30 on Wed. May 10th,in my mirror I noticed he had suit and tie on. Never seen him in suit before, was he on his way to a job interview? Only fitting since management is leaving as fast as home runs off the arms of Twins pitchers!

I saw him getting to work a little after 7 one morning this week. Pretty bad when the only time we see him is coming or going.

I see former management back from retirement filling in, I hear fleetwood will be coming back to be the GEN guy.