2011 GT500 Tested by Motortrend!

2011 GT500 Tested by Motortrend!

The best run we record only once, reaching 60 mph in 4.2 seconds. We expected it to be close to the 2010, as a driver could offset the weight and power difference. But the weather's not on our side. High temperature and humidity limit the Shelby's top end, but highlight the upgraded cooling system: The GT500 consistently traps in the 115-mph range throughout the day. Tires remain the bottleneck. With a stickier set, high threes would be no problem.

Not to say the tires are bad, the lighter weight and upgraded rubber slice 10 feet off last year's 60-to-0 stopping distance with the same braking system. Unfortunately, the improved braking distance is the only handling empirical improvement we record, as bumps, dirt, and grime littering the skidpad limit the Shelby's potential. It wants to be driven harder, faster. It has more grip than this surface allows. It should be just under, if not over, 1.0 g.

Source

Here are some comments on the article:

bbkk (Today 09:07 AM)

I agree, I think I'd rather have the GT and save myself $20K. It's nearly as fast, with better handling and weight distribution. All the car mags are way over-hyping the 100 lb weight loss from switching to an aluminum block. This pig still weighs over 3800 lbs. It needs to lose at least another 300 lbs or so for it to be worth the big premium.