2011 6.2 towing

camper10

• 3 weeks later...

I will start by saying I'm true blue Ford.i normally purchase 2 to 3 vehicles from Ford yearly.This year I traded my 6 month old F150 4x4 for F-250 6.2L 4x4.I like the truck I have a few issues however that have not been corrected.One is the transmission 3:73 it is slightly Jerky running around town and on any incline.I normally lock 6Th and sometimes 5th to keep even power without jerky shifting.I just returned from norther Ill. to central Tennessee towing a 4500 lbs loaded trailer.it was the trip from hell.I locked out 6th most of the trip to ease the excessive shifting,at on point at 65 mph and a long shallow climb out of Paduchah Ky. the tranny shifted 5 to 4 to 3 to try to maintain 65mph on cruise control.

I talked to the dealership where I buy all my vehicles and they haven't had any complaints,yesterday we hooked up the computer to update the engine/tranny,but NO updates available.

I would normally keep this truck for 2 years but if it continues for next 4 or 5 months with no correction,I will have to get another diesel as even thou they use the same tranny no one is reporting these problems.If you are sold on GAS I would urge you to hook up your trailer and take a little drive over varying terrain.Any great dealership will be glade to help you pick your new Truck

Good Luck.

I just ordered a gas F-250 to tow 10,000 lbs. Hope this is just one bad experience. Since its a flex fuel vehicle were you running E85? That provides a higher octane and more power than gasoline.

Sure hope you have better luck than Bucksnort! We have a F250 diesel & it doesn't even know if it has 10K behind it... We have NOTHING negative to say about the towing/pulling capabilities of the diesel or transmission!

yep e85 fuel....... doesn't seem to be the performance issue.

I have almost 5000 miles on the truck right now.the best way to explain this is the transmission shifts frequently and at times it feels sloppy ,especially coming off a hill when you advance the gas pedal there is a lag then a jerk motion.if i just used it around the farm ,probably wouldn't care or notice.but when you put a trailer behind mine it is a real shifter. The people I have talked with that have the diesel are not having this problem..I normally buy diesel,but after the 2008 f250 with the Regen problems i thought i would try the gas engine for a few years.

this part of Tennessee is rolling hills and curvy roads,I normally lock 6 out as it will shift back and forth 5 to 6 frequently.

I guess not being an expert it seems as the engine tranny are not matched...hope ford gets an update out.I have looked for performance chip but they aren't out there and I was told maybe up to two years for one..By then I will be in another truck anyway.

the little net-nods with this F-250 vs my other F-250's..my driveway is steep and gravel,to keep from spinning I have to manually lock the rear end,it seems to ride a bit rougher than the other ones, not a lot but it is noticeable on my country roads.

I still have some electrical problems with power seats and the message center but Ford says it will be an update with job 2 hopefully by the end of Oct.

Hopefully it is just my truck with the tranny action,...but I would urge anyone who regularly tows a trailer to try it with the gas engine first...my puny little 2 axle trailer was less than 4800lbs total weight and the shifting action for that 427 miles back from Illinois was unacceptable.

• Like 1

I really like our 6.2L it pulls our 10k 5ver just fine in hills and flats. I have a little over 4000 miles on it with no issues to report. The shifting is normal as the 6.2L like to make its peak power at 4500 rpms. And for performance stuff on the 6.2L you can talk with these folks www.5startuning.com

• 3 weeks later...

Bucksnort, that is not good news. You are describing the 6 speed in my Ford truck. Way too much shifting when towing, the slightest incline can cause it to go from 6th to 4th and I never tow over 3500 pounds. I was pretty excited about a new F150 with a 6.2 and tow package but with your experience, I may rethink that. My 4.6 has zero low rpm torque, I thought the tranny deal was related to that. I guess not. I had a 1999 F250/7.3 PSD I sold to buy the truck I have now. I wish I had of never sold it. The stick in my 1999 shifted when I wanted it to....I like that.

Edited by gbb

well..I went in again last week for a computer update from my local FORD GUY...they can't tell you if there is an update.. huh? anyway they have to hook you up and push refresh..I still have 6 functions not working on the message center and my seat doesnt power back or forward when removing or inserting the key....Anyway no new update still the same.

I too miss the 7.3 ltr that was a powerhouse.that said the 6.0 and the 6.4 i think they where,also provided plenty of power.thus far I would say the transmission shifts way to often with or without a load/trailer.

For around town I just lock out 6th and that helps, but with these winding roads and small hills there is way to much shifting going on with this gas engine/ six speed.

Since my last post I have moved to higher octane fuel, the milage has gone up slightly and the flat spot from coasting to accelerating has improved.

Somedays I wish i would have stayed with the Diesel. Since i had to buy the middle child another sport trac last month and the youngest gets a new ford after the first of the year..... I have promised the Crazy Redhead I will keep this truck at least a year, We'll see.........

Pulling an 8K Lb trailer from California to Denver; no problem. On the return run a lifter went flat at 3,208 miles on the truck. Dealer service writer said one of the lifters for the #6 cylinder disintegrated and damaged the cam. That was on September 9. Last Friday I was told that the parts on on back order. Have the Nissan Sentra until this Friday. Will update on progress.

Oh, towed without a problem. I did not notice a lot of shifting loaded or unloaded. Thought it was neat that the info center would show which gear was being used. 6.2L w/ 3.78.