GM Developing Mini Rival

PREMiERdrum

BMW’s MINI division has set the bar for premium small cars, but General Motors will reportedly take on the British automaker with a luxury hatch of its own.

According to Autocar, GM is currently developing a premium hatch to take on the MINI brand. Internally dubbed ‘fun and fashion’, the project is being headed by GM’s Korean division.

Although most of the ‘fun and fashion’ project is being handled by GM’s Asian division, GM DAT boss Mike Arcamone confirmed to Autocar that Opel engineers will have some input on the project, indicating the MINI rival will be sold under the Opel/Vauxhall banners. Given most Opels eventually wind up as Buicks, it’s possible the hatch could eventually be sold in the U.S.

No word on what engine might power the new model, but GM’s new 1.4L turbocharged four-cylinder is certainly a leading candidate. Look for GM’s MINI rival to hit the market sometime in 2013.

LINK - Leftlane News

So do I have this straight now?

Cadillac is the "BMW-killer"

Now Buick is the "Mini-killer"

I thought they were the "Lexus-fighter"

Who will GMC fight? It seems they are fighting Chevy.

In China, Buick is the "Chery and VW-killer"

This is all so confusing. I need a drink.

The car pictured does not qualify to be considered anything like a mini. We've already had a Chinese engine in a Chevy not too long ago, the 1st gen. Equinox. Why screw around with this when your own Cruze model is starting it's life in the U.S. as a P.O.S. They will never get things right.