How good is a AWD Fusion in snow?

builtfordtough13

My mom is looking at a fusion or edge in the next couple of months hopefully....and we were wondering how good an AWD Fusion...probably a sport performs in the snow? Its a big consideration for us as we do a lot of mountain pass driving. Would the extra ground clearance on the edge make is better snow vehicle over the fusion? Thanks!

My mom is looking at a fusion or edge in the next couple of months hopefully....and we were wondering how good an AWD Fusion...probably a sport performs in the snow? Its a big consideration for us as we do a lot of mountain pass driving. Would the extra ground clearance on the edge make is better snow vehicle over the fusion? Thanks!

The AWD on the Fusion works awsome, it's the tires (at least on the Sport model) that suck in the snow. It got me through last year in the snow belt with the stock Goodyear RSA's, excellent forward motion, but scary braking and handling. I got out of a driveway at a slight incline from a stop with about 8-10 inches of snow last year. I would think the Michelin tires on the SEL AWD would be better in the snow. If you had dedicated snow tires, the car would go though almost anything. Of course, the Edge with more ground clearance would go through even deeper snow.

svtenthusiast summed it up nicely; definitely invest in a set of winter tires if you'll be driving extensively in snowy conditions. Good choices for the Fusion include Michelin X-Ice Xi2, Dunlop Graspic DS-3, and Bridgestone Blizzak WS70. For Fusions like the Sport model equipped with 18" OE wheels, I'd recommend minus 2 wheel sizing with 205/60R16 tires for your winter set.

The AWD on the Fusion works awsome, it's the tires (at least on the Sport model) that suck in the snow....

Independent tests have proven that "winter tire" (not snow tires) do more to improve driveability in the snow than AWD or even 4WD.

From Wikipedia

Winter tires are usually tires with a different rubber composition from all-weather tires. The rubber in winter tires is softer, which means that it will provide better traction at lower temperatures. Winter tires provide more small-tread areas, allowing for more traction on snow and, in wet conditions, allowing water to escape from under the tire more easily. This reduces the risk of hydroplaning. Winter tires won't prevent skidding on ice and snow, but they greatly reduce the risk.

Dedicated winter tires will bear the "Mountain/Snowflake Pictograph" if designated as a winter/snow tire by the American Society for Testing & Materials.

Buy 4 of them and put them on extra set of rims. Do not use them is warm weather as they will wear quickly.

If you don't see this symbol on the side of the tire, it is NOT a winter tire.

post-11847-0-81177300-1291251134_thumb.gif

Edited by theoldwizard