3 Shifts Vs 3 Crews

taurus10

3 crews you give up overtime on Saturday and Sunday. The company has time between shifts to do maintanence. Parts shortage they can send you home then bring you back in on your reg day off to work for straight time. Breakdowns you can be sent home and brought back in. 3-8 hour shifts overtime Saturday and Sunday, can only be forced two out of every three Saturdays and never on Sunday. No real bonus for workers on three crew but a lot of bonuses and flexibility for management in scheduling you on your regular days off and using a crew that didn't work 40 hours to work for straight time.

3 crews you give up overtime on Saturday and Sunday. The company has time between shifts to do maintanence. Parts shortage they can send you home then bring you back in on your reg day off to work for straight time. Breakdowns you can be sent home and brought back in. 3-8 hour shifts overtime Saturday and Sunday, can only be forced two out of every three Saturdays and never on Sunday. No real bonus for workers on three crew but a lot of bonuses and flexibility for management in scheduling you on your regular days off and using a crew that didn't work 40 hours to work for straight time.

The real bonus for three crew is that we only work 4 days per week. Saves on vehicle expenses . One less day to have to go through the whole routine of having to be somewhere other than your home.

Just curious as to which plants are currently running 3 crews instead of 3 shifts. Any problems with running 3 crews that you have come across would be appreciated. :unsure:

I'm pretty sure woodhaven Forging is trying to do the 3 crew thing your describing. They had a few postings to add people to support what they are calling an "alternative work schedule".

What plant do you work at where you get sent home for parts shortages more than once a year?? I work at DTP and we NEVER go home early or run out of anything

send you home and bring you back in?

I'm pretty sure woodhaven Forging is trying to do the 3 crew thing your describing. They had a few postings to add people to support what they are calling an "alternative work schedule".

Same here, rumors of trying to change us to 3 crews instead of 3 shifts. Don't think I would like to work C-crew(Fri,Sat,Sun,Mon) One less day a week sounds good but getting screwed out of OT and Family time not so hot!

I work at woodhaven stamping so I will give you my perspective on it. I have worked all 3 shifts and all 3 crews. We are currently on 3 crews:

A crew 5am till 330 pm monday through thursday

B Crew 330pm till 2am tuesday through friday

C crew friday saturday 5am till 330pm, sunday monday 330pm till 2am

Pros: one less day of work, expenses like gas and lunch are less, overtime is 10 hour blocks, if a holiday falls on a certain day then 4 day weekends, possible to see kids at night as a whole except B crew

Cons: Walking zombies, tired because of start and finsih times, C crew gets the pipe on overtime, A crew gets all the overtime, C crew on day off you may get up real early like you are working days, C crew every weekend you are tied up with work, No more double time as a whole

I personally hate it because it eats up more of my time during the week to do other things and if you get stuck on C crew you lose your weekend. I am really tired when I leave work now and don't feel like doing anything hardly now. On C crew, your weekend is moved to the middle of the week but if you do activites with friends like boating, mortorcycle rides, sporting events, you can't go because you have to work. Only option is to show up late or leave early. If you have a long drive to work, it makes for an even longer day.

Edited by treetop

I personally hate it because it eats up more of my time during the week to do other things and if you get stuck on C crew you lose your weekend. I am really tired when I leave work now and don't feel like doing anything hardly now. On C crew, your weekend is moved to the middle of the week but if you do activites with friends like boating, mortorcycle rides, sporting events, you can't go because you have to work. Only option is to show up late or leave early. If you have a long drive to work, it makes for an even longer day.

Thanks for your input. This is exactly what I'm afraid will happen to me. Bye-bye weekends!