FOCUS IGNITION LOCK PROBLEMS

cbb123

Although my 2000 Focus has just over 25000 miles on the clock I have had two new ignition locks

after the key either wouldn't go in or wouldn't come out. First time was under warranty; 2nd time,

which was this week I paid for. If you have this problem, and it is apparently very common, do not go to the dealer for out of warranty repair as they will charge an arm and a leg and install the same OEM

part (Huf S38KB) that failed.

An AAA authorized automotive locksmith told me he changes about 25 Focus locks a week, and he does not understand why Ford keeps installing a part which doesn't hold up. As a result, according to websites dealing with this problem I found via Google, many Focus owners have had the same experience. Most say they're so upset they will never buy another Blue Oval product. Is this Bill Ford's idea of "The Way Forward?"

The auto locksmith I used recommended a Strattec 707592 replacement which he said is a trouble-free ignition lock that has been used on other Ford vehicles such as the Explorer for a long time. Other lock experts I found on the web agree. So why hasn't Ford started using it on the Focus? I was charged about half what dealers quoted me, and I got a better part. The bill was $210 including a new key, however because I have AAA Plus coverage my share was $110 and the auto club covered the balance.

Edited by cbb123

I also own a 2000 Ford Focus. I also am on my second ignition cylinder. Ford has a redesigned cylinder that has the key slot centered in the cylinder not offset like the original and is supposed to not have the lock up issues. I bought it last year and I'm not 100% sure of how much it cost. I believe it was around $100.00. It would have cost $20.00 more if I had the parts guy key it for me. It took about 5 minutes to remove the old cylinder from the car, about 10 minutes to re-key the new cylinder (the instructions are in the box), and another 5 minutes to reinstall the new cylinder back in the steering column. Like you said, if you check some of the Focus news groups you will see tons of people had this problem. If it gets stuck you need to smack the key into the cylinder a few times to get the springs to release the locking bar inside the cylinder (this only works a limited number of times, when it starts to stick it's time for a replacement before it locks up totally and is much harder to remove). To remove the cylinder you need to turn the key and push in on the little release button on the cylinder with a small screwdriver. I was afraid that I would need to have two keys, one for the doors and one for the ignition but the cylinders come unassembled and are very easy to key to your existing key.

Edited by nibyak

Y2k bombs.

Ford USA would have been better off delaying the Focus until MY2001 to get bugs worked out. But Jac had to get them out!

Why even in 1999 was there still quality issues with new cars? Had not companies learned anything by then?

This is #1 reason Focus has lost sales. If they were built well from year one, the current cars would not be so looked down upon.

Edited by 630land