more RWD and Manual gear boxes

tenracing

Let's just take this one all the way :)

Those manual tranmissions aren't even true manuals - they still have full synchronizers! How can it be a true manual transmission if you don't even have to double clutch and line the RPM's up to get it in the next gear without grinding?

Seriously! You might as well be driving an automatic if you have one of these.

My favorite is the Eaton RoadRanger RTX 10 speed manual transmission. Who needs overdrive anyway?

I currently drive an 07 Fusion with the manual tranny and love it. The 2.3L performs well with this setup compared to the auto tranny. This is my 3rd vehicle with a manual tranny and because of the trend to auto tranny's may be the last. Too much of our life is dictated by what everyone else wants, let me decide if I want to shift my own gears.

Point about cost was, the last time I priced a countershaft alone for the ZF6, it was just about the cost of a Ford rebuilt E4OD and that came with nothing, no bearings, no seals or anything else that was needed to repair the thing. Lots and lots of machine work to make that particular part and the more machining something takes, the more it costs.

The ZF6 is probably the main reason that many SD owners didn't want a manual. It was a pile of poo compared to the 6 speed manual Dodge had at the time. SO much clunkier/chunkier and noisier than the Dodge offering.

I've never messed with ZF-6s because the trucks they came in are generally still too new and valuable to be hacking up. I do know I can go down to my local wrecker and buy an entire pile of ZF-5s (or the equivalent GM/Dodge NV4500s) for the price of scrap aluminum. My rebuilder can go through the entire thing for less than $500 usually, even with hard parts (which they almost never need). The M5OD mazdas in the F-150 and Rangers are even cheaper.

You may have a point about the GVWR being reduced on the Ranger and F-150, but I know for a fact that the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks didn't have a downrated GVWR with the manual. My opinion is that you would have to be towing something far in excess of what a 3/4 ton is rated for to get pulled over in an F-150 for having "too large a trailer". Furthermore, since there most likely isn't a scale right there, the officer is going to make a quick judgment call on whether your trailer is too big - and that decision isn't going to be based on if the truck has a manual or automatic transmission. These aren't commercial big rigs we're talking about here....

It will only matter if you're using the truck commercially - because they'll use whatever the door sticker says for the GVWR and GAWR ratings. if you're using it privately, they usually could care less unless you actually wreck.