Why Are Safety Features Restricted?

Unless I'm mis-reading the Ford website, can anybody explain why, unless you get the Limited with a sticker price over 41k, it is not possible to get the Adaptive Cruise Control and Collission Warning with Brake Support, or the Active Park Assist?

The excellent Blind Spot Infomation System IS available on XLT but with a new 16-year-old driver in the house, I'd like to have ALL the new safety features without breaking the bank and paying for things like a power liftgate, rain sensing wipers, and perforated front seats.

Can anybody guess (apart from the obvious of pushing buyers to the top-of-the-line) why Ford wouldn't want to make it's best safety gear available (at extra cost) more widely across the lineup?

Unless I'm mis-reading the Ford website, can anybody explain why, unless you get the Limited with a sticker price over 41k, it is not possible to get the Adaptive Cruise Control and Collission Warning with Brake Support, or the Active Park Assist?

The excellent Blind Spot Infomation System IS available on XLT but with a new 16-year-old driver in the house, I'd like to have ALL the new safety features without breaking the bank and paying for things like a power liftgate, rain sensing wipers, and perforated front seats.

Can anybody guess (apart from the obvious of pushing buyers to the top-of-the-line) why Ford wouldn't want to make it's best safety gear available (at extra cost) more widely across the lineup?

Packaging. Honda and Toyota have done it for years. It reduces the cost to Ford and the dealers. The collision warning is a safety feature, but Adaptive Cruise Control and Active Park Assist are not.

Ford has a ton of safety features standard on all Explorers - since the 2010 Taurus Ford has stepped up the game for the entire industry in safety.

...the collision warning is a safety feature, but Adaptive Cruise Control and Active Park Assist are not.

M-E, I guess I'd agree the Active Park Assist is not a safety feature (unless you're in or own one of the parked cars my daughter is trying to squeeze inbetween) but the Collision Warning feature that flashes a heads-up warning on the windshield and sounds an alarm to alert you to a suddenly slowed/stopped vehicle ahead, disengages the speed control AND charges the brakes in advance for you, THAT is safety I'd like to have on my XLT.

I'm wondering also if it has to do with the electric system configuration and load.

The Limited gets a higher capacity battery then the XLT and a larger 200 AMP alternator, compared to the base.

I know when discussing the Explorer Utility Interceptor and how many retail Explorer features would transfer to police this was an issue.

These same options were discussed and load on the 200 AMP alternator was a concern when adding on aftermarket police equipment.

Edited by Sgt1411