Focus - Reliability, Handling, and Ford's Reputation

ferrum

But I also wondered if anyone had reliability impressions of previous Focus models, including the European ones (from which the 2012 supposedly gets its heritage).

I originally hail from Ireland and my family experience with Ford over there is what has drawn me to the 2012 Focus. Many moons ago my dad drive a Ford Mondeo. I believe the Contour you referred to was the U.S. version of that car. I have never driven the Contour but I can tell you that generation Mondeo was an excellent car. It was a big seller for Ford in Europe and their subsequent generations have done extremely well also. That's high praise given the handling expected of a car in Europe. Later on my dad picked up a Focus. That was one of the best handling cars I had ever driven. To be honest - it still holds a solid place on my list of great cars. He drove that car for several years and only gave it up when his eyesight prevented him from driving any more. My sister has been driving it ever since and it has never given an ounce of trouble. I can also attest to the fact that the road surfaces in rural Ireland are not exactly suspension-friendly so it's all the more impressive how well it has held up.

Once I learned about the 2012 Focus and the fact that it was really an evolution of the previous generation Euro car I literally drove straight to the dealer. As it turns out they didn't have one on the lot but within a couple weeks I had an order placed. I firmly believe this will be a very very big hit for Ford.

There are still a lot of 2000-03 Focuses on the road. They do not have the horror stories as old Ford compacts of the 70s/80s/90s. Except for the SPI 4 banger which should have been canned in 1990.

Toyota can sell a dull, borring Corolla with 4 speed since people are deathly afraid of other brands, so they chug along 50 mph in the overrated appliance cars. There are no more lemon cars these days.