Highbeam Question?

Prairie Mule

Can anyone tell me on the 2011 F150 headlights when you turn on the highbeams do the lowbeams stay on as well? If not, is there aftermarket fix or a way to wire them so they will stay on together? Was able to do this on my Silverado and what a difference.

The F-150 uses a dual beam headlamp system with H13 bulbs. These bulbs contain both the low beam and high beam filaments in a single capsule. Because only one of the filaments can be positioned at the focal point of the headlamp reflector (in the case of the H13, it's the high beam filament; the low beam filament is "shifted" with respect to the focal point), the low beams do not remain on when the high beams are activated.

Your Silverado has quad beam headlamps (with separate capsules for low and high beams). I don't know of a method to accomplish the modification you described on a dual beam system like that on the F-150.

Can anyone tell me on the 2011 F150 headlights when you turn on the highbeams do the lowbeams stay on as well? If not, is there aftermarket fix or a way to wire them so they will stay on together? Was able to do this on my Silverado and what a difference.

Well seeing as how your current vehicle is a Chevy HD should be the same.

The F-150 uses a dual beam headlamp system with H13 bulbs. These bulbs contain both the low beam and high beam filaments in a single capsule. Because only one of the filaments can be positioned at the focal point of the headlamp reflector (in the case of the H13, it's the high beam filament; the low beam filament is "shifted" with respect to the focal point), the low beams do not remain on when the high beams are activated.

Your Silverado has quad beam headlamps (with separate capsules for low and high beams). I don't know of a method to accomplish the modification you described on a dual beam system like that on the F-150.

Thanks, If I ever get my 150 I'll have to see how well the highs are.

Thanks, If I ever get my 150 I'll have to see how well the highs are.

By using both high and low beams at the same time you actually decrease the distance that your eye can see. The low beam is focused in front of the vehicle at a distance that is acceptable to on coming traffic while the high beam is focused straight out from the vehicle. When you use the high beam, the light actually seems less bright to your eyes because the volume of light being reflected is less because of the distance and spread. But as your eye adjusts to the volume of light (opening your iris) you can see further down the road where the headlights are adjusted to. By using your low beams and high beams you put a significant amount of light in front of your vehicle making it brighter because the volume of light being reflected is a lot more coming from the low beam, but your eye can not adjust making the high beams reach insignificant. This is the same reason that HID lights are not always better.