2011 Shutdown

qwertyuiop

When I post something online, I like to have hard, credible facts in front of me to back up what I post, but this time, I am making an exception.

There is a somewhat nasty rumor floating around DTP that come Friday, a shutdown announcement will be made that will be like this:

1. There is a supposed TLO planned for about 3 weeks from now (the week of Good Friday). The company would make this week the first vacation week of shutdown, and make Friday eligible for conversion.

2. The week of July 4th would be the second week, and make the 4th eligible for conversion.

3. There would be no other shutdown weeks planned for any other weeks in July or August.

If this is true, there will be a storm on the horizon. Why, you ask? Here's why...

1. How can the company tell us that a TLO is now being converted into a shutdown week? Last-minute scheduling and a Japan Crisis happening before April 1st is one reason.

2. June-eligible employees would have no time available for the vacation week in April. To counter this, I foresee two scenarios:

a. The company would essentially "loan" June-eligible employees 40 vacation hours, and have it "paid back" when their time replenishes.

b. If the company doesn't go for option A, I can see them letting June-eligible employees take a TLO, and have an extra week of vacation at their leisure, while making December-eligible employees use vacation time. This is where the storm brews, because then December-eligible employees would want the same treatment.

The company would essentially have a June-vs-December war on their hands, leaving the union to battle it out. If option B is chosen, no matter what the outcome is, one group or the other will get screwed.

3. How can we plan for a vacation when it is announced only 3 weeks in advance?

I am seriously hoping this is JUST a rumor. It's a logistical nightmare to figure this stuff out in the first place, let alone only having a couple weeks to do it.

When I post something online, I like to have hard, credible facts in front of me to back up what I post, but this time, I am making an exception.

There is a somewhat nasty rumor floating around DTP that come Friday, a shutdown announcement will be made that will be like this:

1. There is a supposed TLO planned for about 3 weeks from now (the week of Good Friday). The company would make this week the first vacation week of shutdown, and make Friday eligible for conversion.

2. The week of July 4th would be the second week, and make the 4th eligible for conversion.

3. There would be no other shutdown weeks planned for any other weeks in July or August.

If this is true, there will be a storm on the horizon. Why, you ask? Here's why...

1. How can the company tell us that a TLO is now being converted into a shutdown week? Last-minute scheduling and a Japan Crisis happening before April 1st is one reason.

2. June-eligible employees would have no time available for the vacation week in April. To counter this, I foresee two scenarios:

a. The company would essentially "loan" June-eligible employees 40 vacation hours, and have it "paid back" when their time replenishes.

b. If the company doesn't go for option A, I can see them letting June-eligible employees take a TLO, and have an extra week of vacation at their leisure, while making December-eligible employees use vacation time. This is where the storm brews, because then December-eligible employees would want the same treatment.

The company would essentially have a June-vs-December war on their hands, leaving the union to battle it out. If option B is chosen, no matter what the outcome is, one group or the other will get screwed.

I am seriously hoping this is JUST a rumor. It's a logistical nightmare to figure this stuff out in the first place, let alone only having a couple weeks to do it.

MAP has been notified that vacation shutdown will be weeks of July 4th and July 11th. :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

It's not going to be option b. There aren' t enough professional double ups to cover that much vaction time . They would have to pay over time to opposite shfits to cover jobs. I have no doubt that they would use vacation weeks to cover TLO weeks though . You could see this coming as soon as they split up the two vaction weeks . It's not a logistical nightmare for the company . This has been their plan from the beginning . As for our plans I don't think they care .Heres something to wrap your head around . What do they do with vacation time when there is no down time forecasted or retooling to be done . Can you say Christmas vacation . They are going to use OUR vacation time when it will save THEM the most MONEY .

Edited by ffamily

I just got a text from my committee man and he has been told that shutdown will be back to back weeks starting july 4th. Rumors suck.

I apologize to anyone who may have believed what I wrote... Turns out this was a rumor-turned April fools joke played on me by my team leader. Ugh.

Back to posting facts only.

Get a International agreement volume 1 Vacation Scheduling page 131

There is nothing in there about when a vacation shut down accurs other than prime vacation period

Who decides prime vacation time :hysterical: The Company does with agreement from the union :hysterical:

In other words if the company needs the cars or trucks your building get ready to work

With the part shortages due to whats going on in Japan Snow Storms in the midwest that caused shutdowns Part Shortages in general

The Act of God/ Parts Shortage etc. language in the contract is running wild

Its a simple fact this is a employer friendly economy Not Employee

Want a Job and a profit sharing check or do you want to go to Disney Land

The Company has us by the balls and there going to squeeze them and keep squeezing until we get our shit together and say thats enough

Solidarity

• Like 1