Cupping on rear tires

eclipse

Anybody had any positive resolution to the cupping produced on the rear tires of a Focus, primarily on the right rear??? I have 2 Focus cars, an 09 and 11. The 09 now has 60k on it. Cupping stated at 50k. My 02 had the same problem. Trying to repair it was a lost cause. Rotating the tires just made all of the tires bad

I have paid for shocks, new tires, rear alignment, more new tires, more shocks, and more new tires. Average tires life is 30k on rear. Seach online shows others with the same problem.

Any fix???

Took the snow tires off, to put back the summer tires. Replaced the 2 rear tires with cupping. I had the alignment checked, it was still perfect on the rear end. Apparently this problem is common on a Focus and Escape on the rear tires. One suggestion was to leave some weight in the back of the vehicle all the time. It appears the back end is bouncing up and down due to a lack of weight. Two 40lb bags of salt in each the rear corners of the trunk.....

I've never had cupping issues with the rears throughout all my years with a 2002. All I usually have in my trunk is an emergency kit, but that's no where near 40 lbs.

My fronts only began to cup when the suspension began to wear. That was only after 200,000 km on each set of struts.

Took the snow tires off, to put back the summer tires. Replaced the 2 rear tires with cupping. I had the alignment checked, it was still perfect on the rear end. Apparently this problem is common on a Focus and Escape on the rear tires. One suggestion was to leave some weight in the back of the vehicle all the time. It appears the back end is bouncing up and down due to a lack of weight. Two 40lb bags of salt in each the rear corners of the trunk.....

I solved my Escape tire wear by accident. I increased the tire pressure to 46psi for better MPG and the problem was solved. Max sidewall is 44psi on the tire and the door says 35psi. Tires lasted for 70,000 miles till I couldn't stand the noise but they still had plenty of tread left. I now run my new tires at 50psi and they look great with very little wear at all. I don't rotate my tires anymore either because they wear even all the way around. The front wear a little faster but I only need to replaced two tires at a time. On my 2011 Explorer, max sidewall is 51psi on the Hankook tires and 35psi on the door but I'm running 51psi so they will last longer and get better MPG. My '09 FEH has a lifetime MPG of 53.6mpg at 29,000 miles and the 2011 has a lifetime MPG of 22.6mpg at 3,500 miles.

I've never had cupping issues with the rears throughout all my years with a 2002. All I usually have in my trunk is an emergency kit, but that's no where near 40 lbs.

My fronts only began to cup when the suspension began to wear. That was only after 200,000 km on each set of struts.

Like I said, my 02 wagon did the same thing. The 09 does it, as well as another guy I work with on his 09.......

• 2 weeks later...

I solved my Escape tire wear by accident. I increased the tire pressure to 46psi for better MPG and the problem was solved. Max sidewall is 44psi on the tire and the door says 35psi. Tires lasted for 70,000 miles till I couldn't stand the noise but they still had plenty of tread left. I now run my new tires at 50psi and they look great with very little wear at all. I don't rotate my tires anymore either because they wear even all the way around. The front wear a little faster but I only need to replaced two tires at a time. On my 2011 Explorer, max sidewall is 51psi on the Hankook tires and 35psi on the door but I'm running 51psi so they will last longer and get better MPG. My '09 FEH has a lifetime MPG of 53.6mpg at 29,000 miles and the 2011 has a lifetime MPG of 22.6mpg at 3,500 miles.

Wouldn't that be quite dangerous ? Tires heat up and PSI increases as you drive. If you have them already set at or beyond the max sidewall pressure, aren't you risking tire disintegration? I would also expect such high pressure to reduce tire contact patch and braking effectiveness. Obviously it hasn't happened to you and I don't know your driving conditions but I wanted to point out the potential dangers before someone reads this thread and thinks it's a safe thing to do.