Reprogram wiper wash cycle

lakeguy

Hi,

Is there any way to reprogram the wiper/wash cycle on a Ford vehicle (in my case, a 2011 F-150)?

I have never figured out why most car manufacturers insist on doing this! I push the button to wash my windshield. The first thing that happens is the wipers start up and drag dry wipers across the windshield, then the washer fluid starts squirting on the windshield. In the winter, this process results in a lovely scratching/scraping sound as the coarse sand and salt residue is dragged across the dry glass.

Why can't they have the washer fluid spray a few times before starting the wipers, or let me shut this off so I can do it manually myself?

Edited by lakeguy

Hi,

Is there any way to reprogram the wiper/wash cycle on a Ford vehicle (in my case, a 2011 F-150)?

I have never figured out why most car manufacturers insist on doing this! I push the button to wash my windshield. The first thing that happens is the wipers start up and drag dry wipers across the windshield, then the washer fluid starts squirting on the windshield. In the winter, this process results in a lovely scratching/scraping sound as the coarse sand and salt residue is dragged across the dry glass.

Why can't they have the washer fluid spray a few times before starting the wipers, or let me shut this off so I can do it manually myself?

Only makes sense to a guy behind a desk.

Or....squirt fluid at the same time as wipers start.

Then there is the curtacy sweep...it often times screwes up my clean windshield after washing it.

No.. there is no way to adjust those settings yourself

Edited by Pete

Only makes sense to a guy behind a desk.

Or....squirt fluid at the same time as wipers start.

Then there is the curtacy sweep...it often times screwes up my clean windshield after washing it.

No.. there is no way to adjust those settings yourself

Actually, I was hoping it was like the courtesy sweep. On the 2011 F-150, that is programmable. You can set it to on or off.

It doesn't make sense from a driver's perspective, but from a lawyer's having the windshield wipers start first makes perfect sense. If the windshield washer is squirting while the wipers are sitting at the bottom then for a couple seconds the driver is blind. That results in liability for Ford. Damned lawyers!.!

• 4 months later...

If anyone ever figures out a clever way around this, please post here! This still drives me crazy. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard! Not much different I guess. Nothing like the sound of dry blades scraping sand over my soon-to-be-not-clear windshield!

Edited by lakeguy