New Evansville Arena To be named "The Ford Center"

jpd2

New arena to be named "Ford Center"

Posted: Aug 17, 2011 1:14 PM CDT Updated: Aug 17, 2011 1:14 PM CDT

EVANSVILLE, IN (WFIE) -

The Tri-State's Ford dealers have bought the rights to have the new Evansville Arena named in their honor.

The Evansville arena will from this point be known as the Ford Center.

For the name, Tri-State Ford Dealers will pay the city more than $4.2 million total over 10 years.

Brandon Bartlett was at the announcement and he'll bring you reaction from the city and residents on 14 News.

I still remember the story going around the shop floor, that all Ford employees would have first dibs to the seats at Ford Field in Detroit.

I guess this is why I'm not in Marketing, because I never understood why companies spend the money they do on naming rights. Most people I know still call the Rogers Centre in Toronto the Skydome. The Air Canada Centre is called the ACC. It wasn't until the riots in Vancouver that I found out GM Place is now the Rogers Arena. I have no idea what they are calling it in Calgary, but it's still the Saddledome to me. And I think the arena in Philadelphia is on it's 5th name. I can name you every pro team, in every city in North America, but I'd be lucky to know 15% of the name's of the facilities.

What happened to the good old days of Wrigley Field or Busch Stadium ;)