2011 Explorer Handling

This afternoon I was driving about 65mph on I-95 in the slow lane when a Semi lost his entire right front tread in the middle lane. There was barrel road barricades to the right of me where construction and uneven pavement was going on. The huge round tread was rolling in the path of my front bumper and windshield and in a split second, I cut in between the barricades onto the uneven road construction and there was no time to hit the brakes and miss the retread. Here I was on the right side of the barricades doing ~60mph coming up on a entrance ramp loaded with cars merging onto I-95 and a Semi trying to pull over beside me. I didn't know if the Semi was going to hit the merging traffic, but I knew I didn't want to be a part of that accident. I made it out of the barricades behind the Semi very close and made it to the center lane around him. This was a heart attack situation as I watched the Semi stop behind me with all the cars merging stopping.

Hats off to the Ford Engineers for designing a vehicle to handle without turning over with what I put it through today. My wife was screaming until I was clear of that mess!

I know what kind of air pressure you run in your tires and I know what kind of difference that makes compared to the factory setting. I'm sure that helped out too. Glad you're alright.

Thanks, and you are exactly right! You, are a very smart person just to think of that. It was crazy of me for not letting the tread just hit my Explorer, but I had no time to think and just reacted.