2012 Focus Hatchback Rear Window

Roger Eastman

I have a minivan and a station wagon. The minivan rear window quickly collects dirt on it when driving ; I have read that there is a negative pressure at the tailgate that draws dirt to it.

The station wagon is even worse ; it also manages to get black exhaust particles on the glass along with dirt.

So my question is this : How is the 2012 Focus hatchback in this regard ? Apparently Ford does not consider the airflow over the hatch as being very good, hence the sedan being the only model offered with the SFE package.

I have a minivan and a station wagon. The minivan rear window quickly collects dirt on it when driving ; I have read that there is a negative pressure at the tailgate that draws dirt to it.

The station wagon is even worse ; it also manages to get black exhaust particles on the glass along with dirt.

So my question is this : How is the 2012 Focus hatchback in this regard ? Apparently Ford does not consider the airflow over the hatch as being very good, hence the sedan being the only model offered with the SFE package.

My hatchback can get pretty dusty particularly when I operate it in the morning on dirt roads after a damp evening. No black exhaust particles though.

In my experience with non-sedans (a minivan and both the '07 and '11 Lincoln MKX), the Focus hatch rear glass collects far less dirt and the liftgate stays much cleaner when driving through water. However, the Focus's front and rear wiper blades seem to collect a lot of fine grit above their leading edges.

I don't seem to get a huge amount of dirt on the window, but it sure gets dirty fast where rain water comes out of the hatch. I try to keep that area outside the weather stripping clean, but the first rain after washing my car results in a filthy rear lower hatch and rear bumper! I think the other hatchbacks I've owned were the same way, but since my previous car was a sedan, I had forgotten.