Titanium 18" wheel questions

timinac

I'm looking at winter tire/wheel options. Does anyone know the weight of the 18" wheels? Also, the wheel description on Fordparts.com says "Must Replace Valve Stem & Screw With Every Tire Or Wheel Change". Anyone know why that is necessary? Due to storage space limitations, I'm considering not getting wheels when I buy winter tires and just changing tires each winter/summer. Requirements to change $50 valve stems would kill that idea! :confused:

I'm looking at winter tire/wheel options. Does anyone know the weight of the 18" wheels? Also, the wheel description on Fordparts.com says "Must Replace Valve Stem & Screw With Every Tire Or Wheel Change". Anyone know why that is necessary? Due to storage space limitations, I'm considering not getting wheels when I buy winter tires and just changing tires each winter/summer. Requirements to change $50 valve stems would kill that idea! :confused:

Replacing the valve stem is actually pretty common -- even with or without TPMS. There's always the chance that during the removal of the existing tire that the valve stem can get damaged.

Some tire shops sell TPMS rebuild kits, where they keep the existing sensor, but the valve stem, cap, and sometimes the adhesive are brand new.

I'm not sure where you're located or what your trust factor is with a particular shop, but I'm seeing some retailers offer to store winter tires for customers.

The TPMS pack is not very expensive to replace. I don't think Ford is using the band style TPMS sensor much anymore, so most likely you have a rubber stemmed hooked to a TPMS or a "Schraeder" style TPMS sensor that is bolted into the valve stem hole. The TPMS pack shouldn't be anywhere near $50 for all 4. Also, according to the American Tire Association, they write the book on tire handling and all things tire related, do strongly recommend to replace the TPMS service pack every time a tire is removed. However, you as the customer, should have the last say. Just be aware that not every tire service center is going to push too hard that you have to replace the TPMS service pack every time. One side note, if you have the Schraeder style bolt in TPMS sensor, make sure to keep a TPMS valve stem cap on it at all times....especially during the winter. Those are made of aluminum and when they get contact with the winter ice melt mix, they will corrode and getting the valve stem core out is very tricky at best...and usually the valve stem core will actually break in two inside the TPMS valve stem. Most places will require that the TPMS sensor be replaced at that point.

I hope I haven't bored you too much...but tires are my life and it's what I do!