Ghosts From The Past

Was Chris Theodore right? The product planner for the current gen Mustang S197 platform was supposed to come from a redux of the OLD Lincoln LS platform. Theodore TORE out the BS, got all the ISSUES on the table, and arguably gave the customer what they wanted.

Don't Listen To Me, Read It For Yourself

He has since been "eased" out, only after making VP, of course.

I am a disciple of this thinking, only through this type of thinking are we going to survive. MF was too late to save this man, hopefully he can convice those like him not to leave.

Chris Theodore also contributed significantly to Ford's current architecture strategy. At one time Ford execs dismissed the idea of sharing platforms across multiple vehicle types and lines (e.g. Fusion/Edge, etc.), and also eschewed the idea that a platform should not be replaced outright every 8-10 years, but should be significantly updated on much shorter intervals. Reducing overall parts count, as well as the amount of engineering required for a new vehicle substantially reduces time to develop new product.

Autoweek has since taken down his interview from 2002, but it was well worth reading.

The blog, however, is not. It contains multiple errors, from stating that Ford dealers are dismayed at the Fusions and Five Hundreds "piling up on lots", with Mustangs leaving streaks of burned rubber (ytd, D3 sales flat, Mustang down--to be expected, of course). As to glorifying Theodore's departures from the 'cookbook', they were justified only insofar as the cookbook was improperly drafted. Bad rules should be broken. Breaking rules has no virtue in itself.

As to the easing out of Theodore, I've been nurturing a little theory that he and Martens clashed. Martens was a Ford lifer, probably helped write the 'cookbook', and Theodore was a relatively late arrival from DCX. Martens also had--uh, shall we say--difficulties managing his people. It's rumored that he was behind efforts to kill SVT, or strangle it. Theodore left before Martens quit, and I'm guessing that if Theodore knew that Martens' time was running out, he probably would've stuck around--knowing that he had a darn good shot at Martens' job.

The way things stood, it was clear that there were going to be vacancies at the top of Ford's NA ops. Greg Smith was ineffective as president, Americas, and either Martens or Fields was going to be tapped to replace him. Smart money at the time may have favored Martens, and that may have been why Theodore left. If Martens was named president, Americas, Fields would still have his hands full with PAG. OTOH, if Fields were named president, Martens would likely quit, with Ford's executive stable already looking like it would be better staffed by a temp agency, pressure was on Bill to appoint Martens (the safe choice). When Fields was named pres. of the Americas, Martens left shortly afterwards, and Theodore may have had second thoughts about leaving. Unfortunately, once you're out, you're out. Fields can't fire Kuzak and replace him, but I'm hoping that he is being consulted about what can be done at Ford. He was, by all accounts a decent guy, smart, and he got a raw deal.

Edited by RichardJensen