2013 Ford Escape 2.0 AWD gently shaking while idle

howie411

Sometimes it is just the other traffic passing you causing wind buffeting or other vehicles making the ground shake(like on bridges). This fooled me once so I thought I would mention it. Also, make sure someone else in your car doesn't have shaking leg syndrome(like my wife). "HONEY, CAN YOU PLEASE STOP SHAKING YOUR LEG!".

So I dropped my Ford off today to get a scratch fixed (was an I owe you) from the dealer since it was there before I bought it. I asked them to look at the idle issue. Just got a call and they told me the Engine Mount is defective and now they have to order a replacement. ughhh At least I know I wasn't going crazy.

Yes, I did. Its at the auto body shop getting the rear lift gate aligned. It was way off. Very bummed out. Where did you get yours?

i guess I will have to keep an eye on my engine mounts. Lets see, leaking roofs, misaligned stuff, engine mounts. How am I going to keep my eyes on the road looking out for all this stuff??

Edited by Escapism

Yep, got mine at Ted Britt too. I just got a call from them telling me it wasnt worth repainting the bumper to fix the scratch. Its like umm I just bought a new car it shouldnt have had a scratch on it. They are going to try touch up paint will see what happens.

The joy of owning a first year revision is we get to work out all the bugs.

Just picked up my car. 1. They did a horrible job with the paint scratch, they tossed some touch up paint on it and it looks worse then before. As for the broken mount the work order states: verified vibrates at idle in gear, road test 2 alike vehicles, vibrates more than others pry on mounts get better. Neutralized all mounts same, gets better when moving right engine mount. Replaced right engine mount, road test ok same as others.

On the drive home it still vibrated but not as bad as before, not sure if now I'm just going crazy now or its normal, might bring it up again when I bring up the bad paint fix job.

I'm thinking you should have had them fix the scratch BEFORE you signed the paperwork.

And they can repaint the whole bumper if need be for a LOT less than what you would have to pay for it if they have an in-house body shop.

The plus side to having the scratch on the bumper is that the bumper will not rust.

If you are an "average" owner, the car will look like hell by it's first anniversary (especially if you have kids or pets or park in the closest spot you can find every time) and then they are right, it probably isn't worth a lot of time or money to make it perfect right now.

If you do take care of your stuff and show pride in ownership and you didn't wring every last dime out of the buying transaction, then yeah, it should be fixed to your satisfaction. If you traded in a two year old car and it looks like a nine year old has been driving it all this time and they oil was never changed, then I wouldn't worry about a scratch.

Ok, so I don't know whats going on, my Escape still seems to shake while idling. It also seems very loud (when I'm at a stop light and the windows are down). I swear I don't remember this on the ones I test drove (sadly I never test drove the one I ended up buying).

Hmmm, don't know whats going on. I know at first I thought mine was vibrating at stop lights, but as soon as I took it out of "D" and into neutral or park it was nice and smooth. So I guess at stop lights and the like I'm just feeling the car want to "drive". Maybe because I'm coming from a manual tranny I just wasn't used to that slight nudge/vibration from the automatic in "D" while I had the brake fully depressed. Let me know if you want to meet up and check it out (unbiased) and/or compare vehicles.

Edited by Escapism

I noticed this during my first test drive. I pretty sure what you and I are describing is a typical 4 cylinder vibration. Here are three internet links that fairly well explain the issue.

http://en.wikipedia....ine-four_engine

http://www.e31.net/engines_e.html

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/smooth2.htm

I think the art of designing an engine with tuned balance shafts and engine mounts is just one of the difficult engineering challenges an vehicle manufacturer encounters. I think there is probably a trade-off between cost and performance but I wouldn't swear to that if pressed.

I have another vehicle that is a straight 6 and it runs as smooth as any engine possibly could with the exception of a V12 which I've never had the pleasure to experience.

Edited by ticobird