Leviton Level 2 Charger is a Phantom Power Drain

murphy62

Well I spent the $350 to get the 220 line, plug, plate, and on/off switch installed last Saturday (basically the Leviton $80 wire kit). I'll now will wait for a build date to buy the actual charger to hang on it. I placed the unit a couple of feet past (towards the back of the car) the where I think the front door will swing so it's out of my way a vast majority of the time. I think I could even run the long cable to the outside of the garage easily enough should THAT need arise.

Week 11 of unscheduled clean nearly complete, but I'm not bitter. :-)

I spent about $180 on Wire, outlet and breaker. I had the breaker installed, wire from panel to garage run and 50amp plug wired and installed. I worked it out with Mr. Electric to buy the Ford Charger at $800 (their cost, they cannot charge more) and he charged $350 for the final install. What that final install was, is his bringing out the Ford Charging Station, checking over the wiring, installing the mounting plate, mounting the station and plugging it in. He also went over how it all works. A little pricey for what he did, but they do need to make money somewhere. I am very happy with the cost and what they did. Very polite, very helpful.

If they did all of the work, including the Electric Permit Fee, it would have cost me at least $2,200 (plus Tax). I would only try to do it the way I did if you know a lot about working with electric installations and have access to an electrician and understand what needs to be done. One thing to note: Mr. Electric recommends using an 8 gauge ground (that is more then usual), so you may want to run 3 wire 8 gauge and use one of the wires for a ground.

Mr. Electric came by and mounted my Charging Unit, now I just need the car. Actually, I need to clean the garage, fix-up and paint the walls, then I'm ready....but getting closer.

PS: anyone know how to display images smaller on a post then they are in the URL?

IMAGE_E2935D4A-1FD3-4877-AEB8-8CA8C43C82

How did you upload this picture. I would like to upload pictures of the charger and my car but can't see how to import them into a post. I tried drag and drop but the pix are way too big.

How did you upload this picture. I would like to upload pictures of the charger and my car but can't see how to import them into a post. I tried drag and drop but the pix are way too big.

I just added it from my Google photos, coping the URL, selecting the Image (little box) on the editor and added the URL location. I wish there was a way to control the size.

4D040DF8-55D2-4CA3-9AB1-A9E768E7BF99.JPG