How to Drop the Head Liner in a 2013 Escape

ColdnFrosty

I accidentally snapped off the antenna on the roof of the 2013 Escape while backing into a garage packing space - yeah - ugh! I ordered a new base and antenna (part #18813 and 18936). As the antenna bent forward it pushed the front of the base down and made an ever so slight depression just forward of the base - yeah - ugh! I think it will rebound with a little thumb pressure from underneath. However, I am curious if anyone knows how to drop the rear portion of the head liner so that I can access the connectors to the base? Many thanks.

Bummer. I'm just spitballin' here, but isn't the headliner attached to the insulation with adhesive and the insulation is somehow attached to the roof? I ask about the adhesive and insulation because folks on the Focus forum were posting that the glue was seeping through the headliner material. My guess is that you have to remove the plastic trim pieces in the cargo area and very carefully try to separate the headliner from the insulation as far back as needed. Apply a modest amount (so it doesn't seep through) of spray adhesive and try to reattach the headliner. The plastic trim is probably attached with push pins and pull straight out. I believe there are tools for removing interior trim, but you may have to replace the fastening pins if they are ribbed and tapered.

The only time I smoke and the only time I smoke in the car is when I travel on my blue highway road trips. Last year, I had a cig in my hand, was trying to orientate a map and I brushed the cig against the headliner. It melted the fabric instantly and left three small burn marks and a slight stain I can't get out. To make a long story a little longer, I looked into replacing the headliner and if I'm looking at the correct part on fordparts.com, it's $645.00 for the fabric headliner alone. I looked online for repair kits and nothing seemed right to me. I'm going to take it to an upholsterer this summer to see if anything can be done to fix it up.

You will need to remove all the trip pieces that meet the headliner as well as the sun visors, handle bars, roof lights, sunroof controls, door seals, etc. Once that is complete the headliner should detach from the frame of the car. The fabric and insulation make up a headliner and should not be separated in order to remove a headliner.

I have not performed a headliner removal in a 2013 Escape but it should be the same as most modern cars. It is a time consuming process and you need to be extra careful with the trim pieces and headliner that hide the airbags (disconnect battery and discharge any residual power (turn on a map light/overhead light, etc.)). Trim tools and patience are required.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes! Maybe even upload some pictures of your journey.

When the dealer told me $200+ just for labor, I decided to take a closer look at the liner. There are two trim pieces on either side in the rear that appear to hold the edges of the headliner. The rear edge is held in place by the rubber gasket at the top of the left gate. Slipping my hand in there I felt no glue and the headliner and insulation appear to be one piece, as you indicated. The nut and connector wire for the base are only about 10" forward of the upper hatch gasket. The wire come in at a 90 degree angle from the driver's side. So, I'm optimistic that I'll be able to do it myself without having to remove the liner completely.