Finally got the Escape in for warranty work - clunking front end, A/C problems

inswva

Our 2013 Escape SE 1.6L just clicked over 35k miles. I figured I had better get the thing to the dealer before the bumper-to-bumper expired.

Service being performed:

Front end clunking - dealership is replacing parts per the latest front end clunking TSB

A/C - blower was surging at idle, dealership replacing blower motor

They are updating to MFT 3.6 while it's there.

Out of curiousity, has anyone else experienced the surging blower motor? I couldn't find any TSBs relating to the issue so it may be an isolated problem. I'm concerned with potential rattles in the dash after the work is performed but I'd much rather have it replaced under warranty than risk having it fail out of warranty. I can't imagine it is a cheap labor bill to pull the dash apart which I'm assuming is necessary to replace the blower motor.

Edited by inswva

Dealer replaced the front strut bearings on both sides. It's hard to tell if it actually fixed the problem since, for some unknown reason, the front end quit clunking about a month ago. It had clunked pretty much since new. But, I figured I had better do something since the bumper-to-bumper warranty was less than 1k miles from expiring.

Dealer also replaced the blower fan speed controller to correct the surging A/C. That repair most certainly did not correct the issue. The blower still surges randomly. I'm interested to know if anyone else is experiencing the problem.

The work order says Sync was updated to 3.6 and the APIM re-flashed. However, when I check the version through the MFT settings, it indicates that I'm still on the previous version. This doesn't give me a lot of faith in the dealer's service department. It makes me wonder if they actually did *any* of the work (especially since the A/C problem persists) and simply billed Ford fraudulently.

I may take it to another dealer tomorrow. I've got about 300 miles of warranty left, lol.

I'm in southern Virginia. I used to live in NoVA though and bought my first new vehicle (a 1991 Ranger) from Ted Britt Ford in Fairfax. Fortunately, there is a very good Ford dealer 1/2 mile from my office. Unfortunately, due to logistics, I had to use the dealer close to my home.

I'm not formally accusing the dealership of malfeasance, but at the very best, they didn't complete all the work enumerated on the invoice. I suppose it is possible they just reinstalled the 3.5 update. 3.6 had been released just the day before, IIRC.