Renting a Kuga in Rome

DaveTaylor

I am looking at rental vehicles out of Rome for an Italian cycling holiday next May. I see the Kuga is available (manual;yeah!). However, we need to fit 3 people, 3 bikes in bags or boxes and 3 small duffel bags. Has anyone on the forum tried to do this? I am assuming that the interior dimensions of the Kuga will not be different than my 2013 Escape, so your experience with the Escape should be useful. I know, I could gather all this stuff together and try it in my car, but, it will not be convenient to do it for quite some time.

As another Escape owner, I suspect you'll have to put the large side of the back seat down to make everything fit so it would be quite cozy. There is a definite benefit to renting a vehicle just like your own though. I rented a Focus Wagon (think a lower riding Escape) this past summer in Germany. It was very convenient having all the controls in the same places so I didn't have to think about things too much since I had to think more about driving with different road signs, etc.

Anything Ford is going to have similar controls to your Escape. Keep in mind that Europe doesn't have My Ford Touch right now - I had a Focus Titanium Wagon with nav but it just had a little non-touch screen in the center stack. Worked great for us - 3 people with 2-3 suitcases each. We drove 800km in three days.

Be careful driving in Italy, especially around Rome. Italy is one of the worst countries in Europe for foreigners to drive with some of their rules. I've also witnessed crazy drivers all over Rome - not as much in the rest of the country, but I've mainly stayed off the beaten path, often in places where there aren't a lot of cars.

Thanks for the comments Bolt. We actually rented a Focus wagon our last time cycling in Italy in 2007. It worked out very well, but, with the newer generation Focus I am not so sure it would work again. It seems very difficult to find interior cargo space dimensions on the internet. I think I will visit the dealers with my tape measure!