4day vs 7day AWS

RougeWelder

I have been on both 7day and 4 day AWS at DTP. One full year on each with no overtime. The 4 day, 12hrs. is the best. You make about $9000 per yr more and 4, 12hr shifts is much easier on body and soul than the 7, 12hr shifts. The company gets thier 24/7 maint. coverage either way. I understand they want to cut costs where ever they can, but the 7 12's are a drain. People still get the work done safe and effecient, but they are zombies at the end of the week.......plus the drain on family life does take it's toll. I could not imagine what it would be like to a young family with toddlers. Your wife would be a single mother every other week. Is it that bad to think about your employee's health and well being compared to less than $200k out of thier $6bil in pure profit?????? I don't think so. And that is if all trades nationwide were on 7day vs 4day. I believe most are on the 4 day. It would be a mere pitance to put DTP trades back to 4day AWS.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've worked both myself and days and midnights for each. The midnight shift is the worst (IMHO) for your body due to the constant flip flopping from nights to days. Humans by nature are not nocturnal beings. That said it takes some time to adjust to being up all night and a day or so to re-adjust to being a day person. At least on the 7 day schedule you have time to adjust both ways (again IMHO). Plus you do have every other weekend off. Some things money can't buy.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a reason the real UAW fought for a 40 hour work week years ago. So that people could live a "normal" life and spend time with their families (weekends with children while they didn't have school). Then many members (including myself) decided to work 48, 50, 60 hours per week to buy things that would make them "happy" while their families disintegrated. Now you give up important family time to serve the company and work shifts that turn you into walking zombies. How many people at Soldarity House sacrifice their lives and families like this?

But those schedules are OK for the rest of us! How many people do you think work 7 12s at the glass house? I know that most of them and the HR/management etc people at every facility bolt for the door when their 8 hours (or less) is in every day and often sooner on Fridays.

I understand shift work but it is not good to ruin people's lives. What a price the company and union are making us pay.

Edited by Hard Driver
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...