Fate of Dearborn Engine and fuel tank?

Has anyone heard anything on what the plan is for deftp? I'm leaning towards them axing it. It makes an engine at least 2 other places make and do it cheaper, the fuel tank lines could be moved/outsourced fairl easy...it's not looking good.

Dearborn Engine will close under the way forward plan in 2007

DDMP will close in 2010

Edited by the_wizard

I never understood why Ford never converted the engine plant to supply egines to the DTP.

I mean Why ship engines from somewhere else when you already have an existing plant on site? Therefore reducing the cost of shipping.

True the engine plant only makes 4 cly. engines now, But what will it take to convert it too a more flexible plant to accommodate numerous type of V6,V8, Diesel and possibly V10 engines?

I never understood why Ford never converted the engine plant to supply egines to the DTP.

I mean Why ship engines from somewhere else when you already have an existing plant on site? Therefore reducing the cost of shipping.

True the engine plant only makes 4 cly. engines now, But what will it take to convert it too a more flexible plant to accommodate numerous type of V6,V8, Diesel and possibly V10 engines?

Better question would be when will new plants go up? That is an observation from driving around the complex. That may be discussed in Sept. but that depends if Ford goes private or not. I am just waiting to see what ford does with that tax credit they are gonna get from the mi gov. Who wants to bet she is gonna be at the press conference and if she is that will be a very good sign what will happen to the plants in michigan.

It would take a lot. Almost ALL of the old equipment from the old 2.0 spi is still just sitting there, so that would all have to be removed. We've tried getting them to let us tear it out, we'd probably end up making a little money and keep everyone working for a little while selling it as scrap. They just respond "it's being looked into, we've asked for money to do it" (that's been going on for 6 months now) Then they'd have to redo all the floors, both levels...and that's just to get ready to start installing the new equipment. If the do indeed close the deftp, I'm screwed (probably am anyways) I've got about 8 guys under me before GEN. Maybe I'll take the 140, pay off credit cards and knock my house payment down to about 3-400 a month and get in a totally different line of work.