Isn't this age discrimination?

WOODY_HAYES

Why is someone 55 with 10 years worth $40,000 more than someone 39 with 11 years? If it is just about the 6 months medical that doesn't add up to $40,000.

Am I missing something here????

Although I won't pretend to be an expert on the situation, the 39 year old has 16 more years to work in their lifetime than the 55 year old. Thus, the buy out doesn't need to be as large. Although I don't necessarily agree with this process, I believe it is the intent of the corporation's buy out imbalance.

Who cares what their offer is, unless its enough to live the rest of your life on or you have 30 yrs and can retire with almost 3 grand a month. I think the U.S. employees are getting the short end of the stick, when you look at the billions Fords investing in Mexico. Ford is also making money around the world. I think the UAW needs to tell Ford, NA made you the profits to buy Jag, Aston M., L.R. and Volvo so sell all of those companys and invest in cars in N.A. I think this was the plan from the 90's Ford would buy all of these companys and abandon manufacturing cars in America. Taurus gone, Lincoln gone, Tbird gone, Contour gone, Cougar gone. Ford could sell these companys for around 10 billion, that could go a long way in reviving the car lineup. Although this isnt without risk, but in the 40's when working people were trying to form a union to better their work life, they had some suffering. Now the question is, is everyone just going to cry and take it or are we going to say, I'm willing to lose everything to better the working class people in America? Who knows maybe if we show some togetherness the transplants will also, then we can get a voting block to make politicians create a 50% content rule, like in China. More good paying jobs for Americans. But instead everyone is saying, "they said 140,000 dollars and its only 100,000. Or I should get more because im 46 with 14 years." Let the baby ass bull go and get a clue people or you will be getting run over for the rest of your life by multi billion dollar corporations that dont give a shit about you, your kids or your momma.

Why is someone 55 with 10 years worth $40,000 more than someone 39 with 11 years? If it is just about the 6 months medical that doesn't add up to $40,000.

Am I missing something here????

I was told by a benefit rep that the 55 year old with 10 years seniority can retire with full retiree benefits.

In addition, if you die, your spouse can collect your pension and full retirement benefits until they die or remarry. You have to have 30 years or 85 points or be 55 with 10+ years of seniority for that.

I know because we had a member die at age 53 with 21 years senority. Their spouse lost health insurance after 2 years (dental and optical coverage ended after 1 year). Why? The employee didn't have 30 years or 85 points and wasn't 55 years old with 10+ years of seniority. Also, the member's pension was somehere around $300 per month. The spouse qualified for the Unicare survivor benefit ($600.00 per month - not much to live on).

Edited by BlueMagic_1