Missing the mark on customer needs

beechkid

Dear Mr Ford,

You are clearly facing a difficult job restoring a company which has been one of reputation and support. Between the Nassar years and our economic status, it is a large challeng to say the least, but I am impressed with the efforts that are beginning to prevail

There are two major areas that I as a 25 year customer see as the current company's short-comings. The first of which is the revised software program for parts. While the program itself appears to be excellent there is a substantial amount of information missing that precludes the prompt replacement of a "common" parts for a vehicle. Specifically, whether I was replacing a battery thermal insulation shield (in a 5 year year old car) or replacing a body trim piece gasket (on a 7 year old truck), each time the software program showed either no product listing, no visual diagram indicating the existance of the part or it listed the part as discontinued. Each time (and there have been more than these two occaisons), it took several days for the dealers staff to obtain the part number by phone from the regional offices in California, then call me, then make a second trip to the dealer to pay and order the part. This is obviously not a good business practice from a non-Ford, Ford Dealer or customer completed repair service aspect. While many company's such as Ford have transitioned to just-in-time supply, such as Toyota, part replacement is not even close to the challenge which I face each time I enter the Ford part counter. It is actually easier and faster to obtain parts for my 1965 Mustang than my wifes 1997 Cougar Sport!

Second, is new vehicle specification. As you know, each of Ford's vehicle lines which were massively successfull was based upon the premise "the customer can buy this vehicle in any configuration they desire- from a grocery getter to a performance vehicle"....a general motto that Mr. Ford Sr and Mr. Iacoca pushed. This obviously did not mean you could have absolutely anything but the popular lines would have a broad package selection to entice and satisfy most auto-enthusiest. While the new Mustang is clearly providing that spectrum, most of the most poplular lines are failing in this apsect.

As an example, the F150. While the multitude of packages are outstanding, the weak ball joints, automatic transmission clutchpack failures and brake problems (warped rotors) are of such predominence that one would have to be "blind" to purchase one and not expect these problems. Although Ford has recently made product changes to correct these problems, only time will tell if the engineers have succeeded. Therefor I am looking to the F250, but unfortunitely, like every other manufacturer, there is no short bed option available. For myself in LA, Ca, this is almost a mandate and speaking with others in the heavy equipment fields, they too are missing that availability for the tight manuevering the short wheelbase provides in heavy equipment-specific environments. BTW, the backup sensors are an excellent option both from a personal and business standpoint. These trucks sit so high up that this is clearly a risk-management benefit in accidnet avoidence and while not everyone may desire to spend the $250 for the system, I can see many entities (including public sector) desiring the option as cheap insurance in eliminating accidents or injuries.

One last coment, the F150 although in generl is an attractive truck, the revised bed design (both styleside & stepside) is just ugly. The terminator style fender extensions found on the stepsides and flat lower panel trim on the styleside just does not blend with either the styling cues of the vehicle or even that which is going on in the industry. Thats not to say if I wanted the termintor look I should be able to dress the truck up as such but, looking at the smooth aero-like styling lines of the F150 cab, then looking at the flat lower trim panels on the bed, it looks as if the bed is for another truck of completely different style and was just slapped on the frame. Looking at the F250, the cab & bed lines are beautifully matched.

Than you,

Jeff of LA, Ca.