To Flex...or not to Flex, that is the question.

Norfolk was flex tooled when the body shop addition was put on.

Michigan Truck

Dearborn Truck

Chicago Assy

Oakville Assy

Luisville

Kansas City

I believe the above are flext or slated to be flext soon.

Those listed below are single product plants. Correct?

Wayne Assy

Ohio Assy

Norfolk

Kentucky Truck

St. Thomas

Twin Cities

Atlanta ????

Wixom ????

Michigan Truck

Dearborn Truck

Chicago Assy

Oakville Assy

Luisville

Kansas City

I believe the above are flext or slated to be flext soon.

Those listed below are single product plants. Correct?

Wayne Assy

Ohio Assy

Norfolk

Kentucky Truck

St. Thomas

Twin Cities

Atlanta ????

Wixom ????

IMHO, Wixom should be flex, three different platforms out of one system. With the right products they could easily do 250k+ units a year. The body shop is the only area I would not consider flex.

Also IMO, Flex means you can switch to produce more of a product if demand goes up. Consider this, if DTP, MTP and NAP are flex we should all be able to produce something else than truck's or SUV's, yet we each produce only what we have been building. Why give NAP or MTP down time when they can produce something else. Where is the"FLEX". A flex system only works when used properly. I just do not see that at all right now. You have to give the flex plants more product so they can be flex, the only problem is some other plant will have to lose it's product to the flex plant to make it happen. DTP is flex, but we only build F-150's(I don't consider the Mark or Harley different truck's because they are not). If it has a frame and fits within our wheelbase we can make it. I have heard rumors of F-250 production coming in from Mexico, but I think Kentucky can handle that. I have also heard rumors of ranger production, but where does that leave twin cities? So non-flex plants are going to lose out to flex plants, sounds to me that Ford had in mind to start closing plants when they came up with the idea of going flex.

o.k....done with my ramble :D

IMHO, Wixom should be flex, three different platforms out of one system. With the right products they could easily do 250k+ units a year. The body shop is the only area I would not consider flex.

Also IMO, Flex means you can switch to produce more of a product if demand goes up. Consider this, if DTP, MTP and NAP are flex we should all be able to produce something else than truck's or SUV's, yet we each produce only what we have been building. Why give NAP or MTP down time when they can produce something else. Where is the"FLEX". A flex system only works when used properly. I just do not see that at all right now. You have to give the flex plants more product so they can be flex, the only problem is some other plant will have to lose it's product to the flex plant to make it happen. DTP is flex, but we only build F-150's(I don't consider the Mark or Harley different truck's because they are not). If it has a frame and fits within our wheelbase we can make it. I have heard rumors of F-250 production coming in from Mexico, but I think Kentucky can handle that. I have also heard rumors of ranger production, but where does that leave twin cities? So non-flex plants are going to lose out to flex plants, sounds to me that Ford had in mind to start closing plants when they came up with the idea of going flex.

o.k....done with my ramble :D

You are right bud and the sad reality is that some plants will be closed. Giving MTP down time is not a good thing but if they had more of a produce line they would work more. Wixom body actually is considered to be flex ready just too many cells spread out to take up room but I could see them pulling that tooling out and new ones being put in. Have you been in that body at wixom? Looks similar to DTP body how the layout is just alittle smaller so that leaves me to wonder will they expand it later or not.

I have been wondering something lately. Has to do with the fusion plant.... Now correct me if i am mistaken but the platform the mazda 6 is on is the same as the fusion trio right? Now flatrock has 2 lines, one builds the mustang, the other is the mazda. Think of how wixom ran with the mark, tc, cont... They had 2 lines but back to what I was getting at.

I think honestly they are going to change where the fusion trios are built based on the cost savings of shipped parts. Now they could give the mazda to mexico but they are already feeling a backlash from where the fusion is built right now, sales show that and they are giving money off them. If that happens where do they place the mustang? Rumor is something to do with the cougar and tbird. Now they could keep all of them similar but do what they did on the fusion, milan and lincoln models. Change the body panels, interior, maybe even mix it up with different motors. This way it looks different from the others and get people out of thinking they same way they do with the harley and Mark.

You asked where is the flex if we are building only one platform. I think it is a slim chance that you will see a truck, suv, car made out of a single plant because that is flex but not cost efficient. Now I did read an article that said the 2007 f-150 and expedition are going to be 90 percent compatible. That means 90 percent of parts will fit. That is a high number and I am guessing the 10 percent left may be the bed of a truck or payload area. Glass extra metal for the roof, and interior molding with the rear seats.

If that happens where does that leave MTP? What if they got the 250,350 production and DTP got the expedition. That move could save NAP because we dont do the short door truck that Nap does.

Done babbling....

Hey Derrik we go in at 3:30 p.m. right?

Later