Volvo XC60

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2462

This is the EXACT idea I was pressing for when I still worked at Ford. A CUV that was short in the wheelbase, but tall enough for Lurch to sit in. Even though I won't get the cred, I'm glad that you ingrates will be able to reap the benefits. Good on gas AND can fit the starting lineup for the Detroit Pistons...

Now to remake the 500 and Montego in this image, Ford will rise again...

Next up, Reflex platform mania, all cars will end up like the Reflex, like it or not...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2462

This is the EXACT idea I was pressing for when I still worked at Ford. A CUV that was short in the wheelbase, but tall enough for Lurch to sit in. Even though I won't get the cred, I'm glad that you ingrates will be able to reap the benefits. Good on gas AND can fit the starting lineup for the Detroit Pistons...

Now to remake the 500 and Montego in this image, Ford will rise again...

Next up, Reflex platform mania, all cars will end up like the Reflex, like it or not...

The XC60 (nee XC50) has been talked about and planned for years. The conceptually similar LR2 platform mate (EUCD) is already for sale. Ford's had the Escape available since MY 2001. The Edge goes on sale next month.

The 500 & Montego are large sedans, not crossover SUVs. And seriously, they're HUGE. The D3s (including the crossover Freestyle) could fit five basketball players, probably with more room to spare than a XC60 or even a XC90. Plus the 500 & Montego achieve 21/29 mileage estimates, 20/27 for the Freestyle.

What's your point? I don't get it. Short wheelbase, headroom, roomy, good on gas - Escape. Everything except short wheelbase - D3s. There must be some other criteria you're looking for. What is it?

Scott

High Center of gravity in relation to Track Width = roll over prone.

SWB and Tall Ride combined don't neccessarily mean that the vehicle has a higher center of gravity than is safe. I suspect that the center of gravity will be stabily located, and that the RSC will do a decent job of managing things. However, with a tall design, there is always the chance that the owner will improperly or overload the vehicle.