Another (generally) positive Edge review

I didn't really want to open a new thread for this, but I think a lot of people would miss it if I just tacked it on the LA Times thread.

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/...1018_370531.htm

Fair use excerpt:

Would I Buy One? The styling catches my eye. And it looks better on the street than I remember from the auto shows. A properly equipped Edge is going to run anyone at least $30,000, which seems like a good value relative to competing models. My own preference for sportier driving would probably lead me to a Mazda CX-7 in this category. But I would recommend it. And with more vehicles like the Edge, the Ford brand may stage a healthy comeback.

All in all pretty good. It's a pretty sparse "review" but another relatively good sign for the Edge.

Scott

Edited by waymondospiff

Blah blah blah. More hysteria and hyperbole from David Kiley.

Watch. There will be at least one factual error in the article too.

Like, say when he states GM has more "crossovers" than Ford, using the Equinox and Vue as examples, but never mentioning the Escape, their direct competition? Or how about stating multiple times that the new V6 puts out 250hp, even though for oh, 8-9 months, we've all known the official number is more like 265hp? I also find it odd that most reviewers seem to state they would rather drive the CX-7 for "sportier driving" but the CX-7 has less hp and gets pretty poor mpg to boot. Just because it has a turbo doesn't make it all that sporty.

Another first drive impression:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/19/first-d...rd-edge-in-s-f/

AutoBlog's Damon Lavrinc takes the Edge for a spin. He generally likes it but does say the 3.5L is "overwhelmingly underwhelming."

I also find it odd that most reviewers seem to state they would rather drive the CX-7 for "sportier driving" but the CX-7 has less hp and gets pretty poor mpg to boot. Just because it has a turbo doesn't make it all that sporty.

And sporty is more than a straightline. Mazda's whole "zoom-zoom" mantra is based on cars that are moderately fast, far from best-in-class (minus the 'Speed versions), but handle and "feel" better than any competitors.

And the 18/24 (AWD) & 19/25 (FWD) fuel economy rating seems to be right on top of the Edge's ratings.