Automated Vehicle Order Status (Evil Robot Lady aka ERL) is down?

The ERL (Evil Robot lady) has been down for several days and I heard rumors that Ford is phasing that system out and moving it online only. Currently I hear Ford dealerships can access the online system using Concepts and Fleet buyers can use fleet.ford.com

That leaves the question, what about the Average Joe/Jane who wants to know every up to minute detail on where their Mustang GT is or when their F-150 is going to arrive?

If Ford is getting rid of the ERL, we won't have any way of accessing this information and we'll just have to annoy our local dealership.

It's the 21st century where you can track the progress of almost every order you make. Why can't we track the progress of a $30k-$50k investment? For that much money, Ford should allow non-fleet buyers to track the progress of their investment.

As a Ford shareholder, my investing confidence would increase if Ford appreciated its customers.

Edited by metroplex

If that is true, you are online right now. What's the problem?

It's available online to dealerships only unless you know of a website that allows you to check the status using the dealer code, order number, MY, and body code.

Why does Ford make it so difficult for the general public to track the scheduling of their ordered vehicle? I can track the progress of a $20 shipment via DHL or UPS. Why couldn't we do the same for a $30,000 - $50,000 car? It's the 21st century and Ford hasn't figured out a way to let non-dealerships track factory orders. It was the same way 10 years ago but I could understand since not all firms were that fluent with the internet. Ford lets its fleet customers access the same info online, it wouldn't be that much more difficult to let non-fleet buyers do the same thing online.

Edited by metroplex

It's available online to dealerships only unless you know of a website that allows you to check the status using the dealer code, order number, MY, and body code.

Why does Ford make it so difficult for the general public to track the scheduling of their ordered vehicle? I can track the progress of a $20 shipment via DHL or UPS. Why couldn't we do the same for a $30,000 - $50,000 car? It's the 21st century and Ford hasn't figured out a way to let non-dealerships track factory orders. It was the same way 10 years ago but I could understand since not all firms were that fluent with the internet. Ford lets its fleet customers access the same info online, it wouldn't be that much more difficult to let non-fleet buyers do the same thing online.

Kzinti, myself and a few others in the past have helped customers track their vehicles as a goodwill gesture to our customers. Unfortunately, the decision was made by management that this was not permissible any longer.

When you ship something via UPS or DHL, it is a finished packaged product. If you have a package coming from a lawyer, what you are tracking is the package. But there was the research, typing and copying being done before that. Do you call a lawyer's office every 15 minutes to see what stage of production your package is in? Do you expect a phonecall from the secretary "I'm in the copy room", "I'm typing page 2"?

Of course not.

Look, I can understand people being anxious and excited about their vehicle. But sometimes too much information is not a good thing. Take a look in the "Vehicle finder" section. Some customers are downright PANICKED about their vehicles.

Things happen in car plants that people don't understand. If your car got held up on the line for a "quality audit" half of you would be going <panicked voice>"OMFG, what does that MEAN?"</panicked voice>. It may be that your car was pulled for a 2 hour soak in a water test tank, or could be a JD Powers audit.

There are scheduling problems. Part problems. Sometimes your vehicle might make it to the shipping yard only to discover before it shipped that there was a minor issue with a part, and that it needed to be brought back in for repair, to avoid having a future recall.

So what if your vehicle status went like this? "In production > Produced > Gate release > Repair hold > Gate release > Shipped" Chances are you'd be "WTF"?

I think Ford would much rather give you a delivery date, and that be the end of it.

So what if your vehicle status went like this? "In production > Produced > Gate release > Repair hold > Gate release > Shipped" Chances are you'd be "WTF"?

I understand what you're saying. I guess all I really need to know are:

When it was built/assembled, so I can celebrate its real birthday, and when I should expect to receive it.

And yes, I celebrate the birthdays of all my Ford engines and Ford vehicles!

What Ford would prefer is not really relevant. The entire problem Ford currently faces is the entire company has been focused on what was good for the company, customers be damned. I am sure that Ford would prefer to build one car in one color and to do it on Fords Schedule. This is no longer a viable strategy.

Some one at Ford should realize that there is an opportunity to make buying a car from Ford FUN.

The first market advantage (over the imports) that Ford pissed away was the ability to let the customer have it his way. Have you every looked at the option list for a 67 Mustang? The imports could never compete with US based build to order. Instead of building on the strength, they copied the "value package" bundling of options into trim levels (XL, XLT, Lariat). What if Ford had really focused on rapid delivery of cars that were built to the customers exact spec? Modern computer systems actually make build to spec easier to coordinate.

Here are some ways Ford could instantly sell more of the cars they offer today.

Build customer ordered cars on an as received basis. Sold orders come before dealer stock allocations period. PUT THE PAYING CUSTOMER F I R S T! It is inexcusable to keep a paid order waiting while you build 10 unsold cars for a dealer lot. The dealer is NOT the customer. Ultimately, the dealers will only order as many cars as they can sell. They do not consume, they distribute. Ford needs consumers.

Increase the availability of options where ever possible and promote build it your way. Read the posts from people buying cars on this site. They are always making compromises between what they want and what they can get in a package.

Make the wait worth while. Send email updates about the progress of the car. This is not a suicide pact, you don't have to share quality holds, or repairs, just make it a fun interesting process. Stop speaking the language of manufacturing and put it in English. Today we created the VIN number of your car. Today we assigned the car to a plant, congratulations, your Mustang will be built at AAI. Tell the customer a little about the plant. Provide a link to a web cam. Good news, your car started down the line today, here is the first baby picture from the body shop. Non of this costs much money, all of it can be computer generated.

Track the shipping progress. Provide real information so the anticipation builds. Can you understand the bonding process that occurs during this order / build / ship process? Anyone ever have a baby? Ever see an ultrasound of your first child? Do you think these customers will be advocates for the vehicle and the brand?

WAKE up FORD! Go on a web site and read about how many "mods" people make to their new car to make it their own. What do you think they are trying to tell you? They are starving for the ability to personalize the car. Play to your advantages, not your competitors. Make a real bold move by doing the simple stuff better than the other guys!

The funniest thing is that if you tell people at Ford how the current process of special order and allocation works, they don't believe it. Somehow, they can't imagine that it could ever be as screwed up as it really is, so they just deny the reality of the situation...

What Ford would prefer is not really relevant. The entire problem Ford currently faces is the entire company has been focused on what was good for the company, customers be damned. I am sure that Ford would prefer to build one car in one color and to do it on Fords Schedule. This is no longer a viable strategy.

Some one at Ford should realize that there is an opportunity to make buying a car from Ford FUN.

Build customer ordered cars on an as received basis. Sold orders come before dealer stock allocations period. PUT THE PAYING CUSTOMER F I R S T! It is inexcusable to keep a paid order waiting while you build 10 unsold cars for a dealer lot. The dealer is NOT the customer. Ultimately, the dealers will only order as many cars as they can sell. They do not consume, they distribute. Ford needs consumers.

Increase the availability of options where ever possible and promote build it your way. Read the posts from people buying cars on this site. They are always making compromises between what they want and what they can get in a package.

Make the wait worth while. Send email updates about the progress of the car. This is not a suicide pact, you don't have to share quality holds, or repairs, just make it a fun interesting process. Stop speaking the language of manufacturing and put it in English. Today we created the VIN number of your car. Today we assigned the car to a plant, congratulations, your Mustang will be built at AAI. Tell the customer a little about the plant. Provide a link to a web cam. Good news, your car started down the line today, here is the first baby picture from the body shop. Non of this costs much money, all of it can be computer generated.

Track the shipping progress. Provide real information so the anticipation builds. Can you understand the bonding process that occurs during this order / build / ship process? Anyone ever have a baby? Ever see an ultrasound of your first child? Do you think these customers will be advocates for the vehicle and the brand?

WAKE up FORD! Go on a web site and read about how many "mods" people make to their new car to make it their own. What do you think they are trying to tell you? They are starving for the ability to personalize the car. Play to your advantages, not your competitors. Make a real bold move by doing the simple stuff better than the other guys!

The funniest thing is that if you tell people at Ford how the current process of special order and allocation works, they don't believe it. Somehow, they can't imagine that it could ever be as screwed up as it really is, so they just deny the reality of the situation...

HOLY CRAP! That has to be just about the best post I've ever read. It's almost like you ventured into my brain and pulled it out! I'm waiting on my 2007 Mustang GT and thankfully I have been receiving updates via the ERL. I would be pulling my hair out if I wasn't able to get a small glimpse of my car's status. As a matter of fact, if I didn't find out after 2 months I was still unscheduled, I wouldn't have called my dealership. He had my order switched with one they had coming for inventory, and got it scheduled the next day. This is the information age. GET WITH THE PROGRAM FORD AND GIVE THE CUSTOMERS WHAT THEY WANT! IT'S TIME FOR MORE BOLD MOVES!!!

Edited by Embalmers

xr7's suggestion to build customer orders ahead of dealer allocation ignores the likelihood of angry dealers getting their allocations late.

Remember Spock's line from the end of Star Trek II?

xr7 represents one sale. The dealer with 10 cars on allocation represents 10 sales. Ford has to put the dealer first. If the dealer gets ticked with Ford, it causes Ford more headaches.

You can't, in other words, develop a system that makes everyone happy.

In terms of order status, about the only service that I could see being even remotely useful to customers that place orders is an e-mail when the vehicle ships. Because until the vehicle ships, it's not 'done', and knowing that your vehicle is sitting on the storage lot waiting for a replacement clip for a defective wiring harness is not going to ease your frustration. It's just going to redirect it.

Edited by RichardJensen

In terms of order status, about the only service that I could see being even remotely useful to customers that place orders is an e-mail when the vehicle ships. Because until the vehicle ships, it's not 'done', and knowing that your vehicle is sitting on the storage lot waiting for a replacement clip for a defective wiring harness is not going to ease your frustration. It's just going to redirect it.

Exactly.

Hey, like I said, some of us (especially Kzinti) were trying to keep people up to date. I even enjoyed it, because it made people that invested their hard-earned money in our products excited and happy.

But there was a downside. "I don't know why your Mustang hasn't been scheduled yet." "I can't tell you why your vehicle has a priority code 40000, talk to your dealer." "I don't have any control over whether your car is built on a Monday/Friday or not."

I'm not complaining (although it seems like it). The ultimate decision to stop doing it was not mine (ours). Chances were that there was enough backlash in the system to force management to put a lid on it. I could picture it. Dealers place their orders in the priority that suits them. They have their reasons why Mr. A's car has a higher priority code than Mr. B. I could picture an upset Mr. B freaking out on their dealer.

Sometimes, too much info is not a good thing.

I understand what you're saying. I guess all I really need to know are:

When it was built/assembled, so I can celebrate its real birthday, and when I should expect to receive it.

And yes, I celebrate the birthdays of all my Ford engines and Ford vehicles!

When you get your car I believe the date of final assembly is on the bottom right of the window sticker along with other information. Does anyone have the breakout for the rest of the code in that box?