Winter tires

Oskar

Oskar, the best snow tires I have EVER used are Bridgestone Blizzaks. Now, I've never used them on my 1989 LX 5.0, for I've been fortunate enough to have winter cars most of it's life (I'm the original owner). I've lived in the Pittsburgh PA area for all of my 44 years-- lots of hills, winding roads, and some days with deep snow, but a lot more with < 1" of hardpack or ice. 4WD isn't as important here as really good snow/ice tires. When I did have to drive the Pony in the snow for about 5 years, I put on studded (ugh) tires and 180-240 lbs of sand in the hatch. Even with all that, driving a 5.0 in the snow is enough to make Madelyn Murray O'Hare find religion. Anyway, on my winter cars of late, I've been using Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's, on all 4 corners. You do NOT want to ride on just 2 of these. In fact, I just put on a new set last weekend from Sears, I think I got 3 or 4 seasons out of the last set (I put about 8,000-10,000 miles a season on them before switching back to all-seasons.) They are simply phenomenal! My little Altima goes like a tank in the snow, absolutely unstoppable climbing hills, and brakes surely, even without ABS. I figure the new Mustangs, with their 52-48 (or so) weight distribution, traction control (you did get traction control, didn't you?), ABS, and good heavy weight, should be worlds better in the snow than my 1989 Pony. Go to epinions.com and look up the Mustang, there are lots of good owner feedback on there, including winter experiences. I think Yahoo has a similar owner-site offering too. I'd STRONGLY recommend the Blizzaks, I can't see how you'd be sorry. I got them at Sears for about $86 each (205-60/15 plus all the tax/mounting nonsense), and I know the Tire Rack sells them for $80 each if you have a trusted garage to mount them. I've dealt with the Tire RAck in the past, they are knowledgeable pros. Good luck, let me know what you do!

• 1 month later...

******UPDATE*******

I ended up with a set of Continental Vikings..They came highly recomended from my tire guy...although I haven't had much experience in the snow with them so far..what litttle I have are very impressive...and on dry pavement they work amazingly well...They cost about half of any other quality tire and I highly recomend them!!

The best tires would have been on a $1,000 Winter beater mobile....Ouch; driving your 'Stang in the snow is risky with all the assholes out there who cannot drive worth a damn.....I always have a winter car plan.....hate to get salt and crap all over the good vehicles..........

• 2 weeks later...
******UPDATE*******

I ended up with a set of Continental Vikings..They came highly recomended from my tire guy...although I haven't had much experience in the snow with them so far..what litttle I have are very impressive...and on dry pavement they work amazingly well...They cost about half of any other quality tire and I highly recomend them!!

Any snow tire will perform better in cold temps, or snow, than an all season tire.

Some just better than others.