07 Job2 Sport Track Transmission Kick when stopping

After driving over 30mph or so and warmed up, my new ST 07 with less than 600 miles

gives a kick as I role to a stop. I have the Limited V8 auto. It was ordered and delivered

on Sept 17th.

It feels like someone bumped my bumper when it occurs.

Not every time and no noise, just a neck jerk.

Any ideas?

It's at the dealer now and all the flash programs are up to date.

Thanks.

:shrug:

After driving over 30mph or so and warmed up, my new ST 07 with less than 600 miles

gives a kick as I role to a stop. I have the Limited V8 auto. It was ordered and delivered

on Sept 17th.

It feels like someone bumped my bumper when it occurs.

Not every time and no noise, just a neck jerk.

Any ideas?

It's at the dealer now and all the flash programs are up to date.

Thanks.

:shrug:

I have a friend who is a tech at a Ford Dealership and advises me when new programming or TSBs are published.

He advised that there is a new "magnetronic unit" or something like that was available but is now on hold. He suspects there will be new programming and then the part issued as a chnageup.

Sounds like there is a problem and a fix was available, but a better fix is in the works.

Edited by campden

• 2 weeks later...
I have a friend who is a tech at a Ford Dealership and advises me when new programming or TSBs are published.

He advised that there is a new "magnetronic unit" or something like that was available but is now on hold. He suspects there will be new programming and then the part issued as a chnageup.

Sounds like there is a problem and a fix was available, but a better fix is in the works.

Campden, thanks for the info. Please keep us updated via this post as new programming or TSB's become available. My 07 Limited V8 does the same thing when i'm slowing to a stop, it doesn't do it all the time but it's noticeable when it happens. For me it's not that big of a deal(I guess i'm settling which isn't good for a 30K vehicle) but if/when there is a resolution I would like to know.

Thanks for your help......

• 2 weeks later...

You might consider a trans fluid flush and adding the in-line filter Ford offers after you have had a problem with your auto trans.

Sometimes the mis-shift is due to contamination that momentarily hangs up the solenoid or valve, controlling the shift.

As automatic transmssions become more complicated, it is more important to keep the fluid very clean.

If you are interested, you can buy the in-line filters at Ford (read, very expensive) or you can buy them on line. A brief search will turn up bossproducts.us or jeffsbroncograveyard.com and a few others.

I hope this helps.

You might consider a trans fluid flush and adding the in-line filter Ford offers after you have had a problem with your auto trans.

Sometimes the mis-shift is due to contamination that momentarily hangs up the solenoid or valve, controlling the shift.

As automatic transmssions become more complicated, it is more important to keep the fluid very clean.

If you are interested, you can buy the in-line filters at Ford (read, very expensive) or you can buy them on line. A brief search will turn up bossproducts.us or jeffsbroncograveyard.com and a few others.

I hope this helps.

The truck is under warranty DON'T BUY ANYTHING, make them fix it or lemon law it. These trucks cost too much money for us to have to spend money on them while there under warranty. This is why ford is in trouble today.

The truck is under warranty DON'T BUY ANYTHING, make them fix it or lemon law it. These trucks cost too much money for us to have to spend money on them while there under warranty. This is why ford is in trouble today.

Agreed! I love my new Sport Trac but i'll be da__ed if i'm going to spend a thin dime for any power train issues with it being under warranty. If the tranny fluid needs to be kept extra clean then guess what, FORD should have designed it with the appropriate filters to keep it clean.

Edited by Lil Red

• 1 month later...

I currently own a 2003 XLT Explorer, with the V-8 engine and have experienced this problem for the entire time I have owned my Explorer. Mine only does this when it is rather cold outside, as in the winter, mainly.

I live in the country and when heading into town, I have a 4-Way Stop, about 1.5 miles down my road. When I start out with the Ford, cold, it will usually give that kick, especially when you coast up to the stop-sign rather slow and don't have your foot on the brake. Feels just like someone bumped the rear of the car, fairly softly. I just turned-over 44,000 on the clock, but I do have an ESP Ford Warranty! I did mention this one time, to my service writer, a year or so ago, and he had not heard of this problem with any Explorer. I just lived with it and never messed with it, any further.

It is exactly as you have explained, with your later versions of the Explorer. I am sure we all have similar transmissions, as mine is the sealed tranny, without the dipstick.

I will be looking forward to a fix for this problem.

My ex-wife's 2006 Chrysler 300 had the same type of buck/kick whep stopping and accelerating. The service guys couldn't figure it out or duplicate it, so the service manager drove it home one night. He heard/felt the problem. Turned out, the transmission mounts were loose to the point of turning the bolts by hand. That could be the culprit.

On another note, my 2002 Explorer XLT had a myriad of transmission problems. It was rebuilt twice, patched a few more times, and it was going south a month ago when I traded it on my '07 ST. One of the things they changed in the vain attempts to patch the transmission was to change the valve body and solenoid body on the transmission. That did reduce the bucking of the transmission, however the transmission was still not completely right. The shifts were off and it would get to the point to where OD wouldn't engage.

• 3 months later...

campden,

Any news on this issue. I have the same problem on my 07 ST and Ford claims it is the charateristic of the transmission. I don't buy it. A $40K(Canadian) vehicle should not drive like a freaking Lada. I hope Ford will do something soon.

• 2 months later...

I am having the issue and hope that there is a resolution on this as I have had it flashed and still have the issue....

32k miles and since Ford would not extend warranty on early 06's getting to the end of the stated warranty, thou i would think i will be grandfathered in on this with it being logged/reported/not resolved.

There is a new TSB (07-10-12) that was released a few weeks ago that addresses a number of the transmission, idle, surging, and other issues.

Here is a link to a pdf file that details the TSB: http://www.zjstech.net/~library/20018/07%2...%2007-10-12.pdf

Just about everyone has noticed a marked notice in performance of the engine and transmission after the PCM reflash.

There is a new TSB (07-10-12) that was released a few weeks ago that addresses a number of the transmission, idle, surging, and other issues.

Here is a link to a pdf file that details the TSB: http://www.zjstech.net/~library/20018/07%2...%2007-10-12.pdf

Just about everyone has noticed a marked notice in performance of the engine and transmission after the PCM reflash.

Thanks, will print off and take with me.. :shades: