Some thoughts tonight from Red Rider

jedigarh

From the Desk of Ole Red Rider,

May God bless all of you at AAP. We are the best today and forever. I hope the spirit of Atlanta will drive the efforts of remaining Ford employees. We never lost a fight when it came to quality or production. It is still the challenge that must be met each and everyday. Many in our country and throughout the world want the supposively world trade. Thats impossible, because America is the end market not the producer. America has a trade deficent and its been that way all my life, and I heard today its as high as 5 trillion dollars.

Vote and remember that our politicians helped close Atlanta. All the agreements that weakened our country were created to serve the corporations. Nafta, open ports and all the rest have caused America's jobs to disappear. All our stupid rulers forgot the true answer, when Mr Ford was asked why he paid such a high wage he simply replied, " I want my people to be able to buy our product". I will voice my anger in the polls soon and hope to see you there.

Well said, good luck to you all at AAP.....

Wrong… The USA consumer made the decision to buy something they think fits their needs better.

The consumer elects the Congress that makes the laws. The USA consumer doesn’t care who makes the product or where it’s made. All they want is the best product at the best price.

It all evens out in the end. Lower prices lead to more consumerism. If your job disappears, then start a business. As for auto assembly plants, location is crucial. I suspect that Atlanta fell victim to urban sprawl, plus the fact that they are located far from the steel mills. I would not be surprised if Ford built a new plant in the area because of a high concentration of affluence (new car buyers) there. New vehicles are expensive to ship. Forget Mexico. Even if they work for a plate of beans, it is still cheaper to have final assembly close to the market. Mexican assembly plants' market is California. How many Ford plants are there in California? Ford charges around $1000 per vehicle for freight. Labour for assembly, excluding benefits, is something over $800. If the vehicle only has to be transported a few miles, the savings are almost equal to the cost of assembly. If the parts suppliers are nearby, the savings are even greater. The wild card is politics.

Edited by Trimdingman