Stupid question, I apologize.....

driveshaftgrunt

If someone over 12 years takes the cash option, what happens to their retirement?

If you are vested, do you still get to collect the lesser amount once you reach retirement age, or are you giving that up the day you take the $65,000 check?

Thanks, and again I know I should know this.

You get to keep you’re accrued pension if you're vested in the company. BUT I doubt you will ever see a dime of it. There was talk about maybe Ford offering to buy us out of our pensions at a reduced rate, in one lump sum, which I hope happens. Hell I would pay a penalty if I could get my money. Then I could take that money and invest it myself and have a little something. But the way the company is running itself in the ground financially and IF they had to file bankruptcy and turn it over to the government like the airlines did, you would be lucky to get ½ of what you’re suppose to draw. Also something to think about is futures negations with the Union, it’s possible that retiree’s pension could be cut AGAIN or dealt completely a way. It’s happened at many other work places, it could happen to us.