Let's Talk 07 Expeditions

proman

Hey folks, this is proman still waiting for the delivery of my 07 EB. They are telling me that it will be during the week of Dec. 11th but who knows. How do you expy owners feel now about your new rides ? I know you have to have at least an average of 2000 miles own your expys by now. Are you still as happy with it now as you were ?

I'm just going nuts waiting for mine and just need to talk with someone who likes the expy like I do. Let me hear from you. I'm even willing to speak with someone who doesn't like the expy so I can just discuss it.

Mike :sos:

Mike

I was wondering if you'd picked yours up yet. I can tell you're excited about waiting for delivery of your Expy...I can't imagine having ordered one and then having to wait as long as you have to get it!

I currently have 2,200 miles on mine. I am as excited to drive it today as I was the first day I picked it up!

First, here are the pro's: Virtually everything. I've had no issues with it whatsoever. The ride is smooth, it's quiet - but the sound of the engine is Nascar revisited when you gun the motor. Great soundtrack! I drove with 7 people in it last Tuesday, and a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S owner rode in the rear seat. He commented at least 3 times about how nice the Expy was inside/out and how nice it rode. The nav system is great, and I used it extensively. I still have to figure out how to program and use the voice commands, but I am looking forward to that. It's fun to look at vehicles I once thought to be big and bad (i.e., Hummer, Escalade, Yukon, even Ford's own Navigator) and note how diminutive they seem now (insert jokes about vehicle size = manhood dimensions here). The heated seats are great on cold mornings. The vehicle feels incredibly solid over bumpy roads, and I have no reason to believe that squeaks and rattles will infest the vehicle when it's got 50,000 miles on it. I formerly owned a 420SEL Benz, and I think the Expy is more luxurious and drives nicer. It handles great too (for a big vehicle). I do have the upgraded 20" wheels, so that may make a difference over the 18"s. This is probably a tie as my favorite vehicle I've ever owned, (with my '03 T-Bird).

Con's: Understand, this is REALLY nitpicking, and I don't even like to mention this because it's not a big deal. But I want to mention everything I can think of. The "miles to empty" gauge in the message center is a bit conservative for my tastes. The warning comes on with 50 miles to go, and if you fill up then there's still room for about 8 gallons of gas. I would like finer adjustment on the radio volume: It seems the volume I want it at is always in-between the smallest increment of adjustment available. As far as comments about the trans and the shifting between 1st and 2nd from a stop: I've noticed that it's become more intuitive as I've driven it. I don't usually mash the pedal at takeoff anyway, but now it really takes a supremely light touch to have it start out in 2nd gear (which I'd prefer it not do). Read my other posts about the trans. After having driven it now for these 2,200 miles, I have no complaints about it at all. I believe it's shifting the way it was meant to shift. And of course, it's a very smooth transmission.

And a final note that really says something about Ford products: Prior to buying my '02 Explorer Sport Trac (traded in for the Expy), I would never have thought I would buy American again. But my resulting experience with my former local Ford dealer/service (thank you Jarrett Ford - Dade City, FL), the reliability of my Sport Trac and T-bird (34,000 miles - no mechanical issues at all), and the fine interior design and fit/finish led to a huge altitude adjustment. (A little joke for the aviators out there...duh.) I am a proud Ford owner, and laugh when I think about how much people pay for premium foreign brand names (and the resulting high service/maintenance costs). Not that those premium brand names aren't fine vehicles, but they're not worth $30,000 to $40,000 more. No way. Not after having sampled, owned, and driven my Expy for the last 2,200 miles.

Let us know as soon as you get yours, and don't forget pics! I'm sure you won't be disappointed. And just to get you wound up even further, here's a couple of other pics of my Expy.

post-24826-1165429921_thumb.jpg

post-24826-1165429981_thumb.jpg

post-24826-1165430030_thumb.jpg

Ray

Hey RadCad,

So good to hear from you. Truly, I have looked at your original photos every single day just to keep me going. You're right, I am going crazy waiting for the delivery. By the way, thanks for the new pics, they look grand.

As you probably remember, I am trading in my 05 EB for the 07. I know what you mean about the alarm letting you know at 50 to empty. It also seems to have 5 plus gallons to go upon refill. I even drove it to zero when I first got it and still could only put 22. something in the tank. I guess the good thing is knowing if you are on a long trip and it goes off, that you can still drive further if you want to.

I couldn't recall where you and ELlover lived but I was thinking it was in PA. My family and I went to PA for Thanksgiving and I kept my eye out for your white EBEL and her carbon metallic. What I found so strange is , that I traveled from NC to PA and did not see one new Expy.

I'm just getting the 17 inch tires since mine will not be an EL so I sure hope my ride is as quiet as yours. If not, I will not hesitate getting the larger tires to fix the problem. My 05 is really noisy on the road, especially if it has a rough surface, so hearing that your new one is still quiet just intensifies my jubilation.

I definitely will let you know when mine finally arrives.

Thanks again for the new pics.

Mike

Edited by proman

Hey folks, this is proman still waiting for the delivery of my 07 EB. They are telling me that it will be during the week of Dec. 11th but who knows. How do you expy owners feel now about your new rides ? I know you have to have at least an average of 2000 miles own your expys by now. Are you still as happy with it now as you were ?

I'm just going nuts waiting for mine and just need to talk with someone who likes the expy like I do. Let me hear from you. I'm even willing to speak with someone who doesn't like the expy so I can just discuss it.

Mike :sos:

Mike you are funny, but I so know what you are going through. I hated waiting to the point that I will probably never order a car again... I now have 1950 miles on mine and I still love it as much as the first day. I love the pick up and go and the smoothness. It handles wonderful and I dont see many issues. The 1st and 2nd gear thing is weird at first but once you get used to it, its fine. All the 6 speeds are like this. I have flown over train tracks and no rattles and was so quiet. I had the excursion before and this doesnt handle anything like that. And my 03 Expy was so rough in the ride compared to this. You cant even compare the rides. I do not miss my 03 one bit.

I took my family out to a laker game a week ago and we had 4 kids and 4 adults in the EL and the 4 adults are all well over 6 ft and we were all very comfortable. My Dad is a chevy owner and has now said when he has the money he wants an EL. That is HUGE for my Dad to say. The Navi is wonderful, got us to the Staple Center with no problems. I usually get lost every time and i have been there many times. Now I was surprised when I pulled in to the VIP parking all the security guys were freaking out over my El. They havent seen one yet. I found that very odd. They said it was HOT...

Good luck cant wait to see pictures of yours!!!

Con's: Understand, this is REALLY nitpicking, and I don't even like to mention this because it's not a big deal. But I want to mention everything I can think of. The "miles to empty" gauge in the message center is a bit conservative for my tastes. The warning comes on with 50 miles to go, and if you fill up then there's still room for about 8 gallons of gas.

Ray, I do have to agree with you. Its annoying in a way but kinda of good too. Because it doesnt cost as much to fill if you do it right when the light was on. I tried to play around with it and drive for a while after the light came on but after about 60 miles when it showed 0 I couldnt handle it, made me to nervous. haha Its weird how ever model is different. Our 06 F150 when the light comes on we have exactly 2 gallons.

I couldn't recall where you and ELlover lived but I was thinking it was in PA. My family and I went to PA for Thanksgiving and I kept my eye out for your white EBEL and her carbon metallic. What I found so strange is , that I traveled from NC to PA and did not see one new Expy.

I'm just getting the 17 inch tires since mine will not be an EL so I sure hope my ride is as quiet as yours. If not, I will not hesitate getting the larger tires to fix the problem. My 05 is really noisy on the road, especially if it has a rough surface, so hearing that your new one is still quiet just intensifies my jubilation.

Mike, Ray and I are in Southern California. I still have NOT seen one on the road. Its really weird, nice but weird. I still get looks everywhere I go. I check parking lots all the time and the day I find one I am parking next to it!!! EVerywhere I go I always find the new suburbans and I sneak up and park next to them, I love the EL so much better than the new Burb. I liked the 06 but not the 07.

As for the rough ride on your 05, mine was the same in the 03. Major differnce you will be amazed. I should ask my brother in law how the 17's ride, thats what they got on there XLT EL. I absolutly enjoy this SUV to the point were I want to be in it 24/7. My kids are so good in it too with the DVD player, now I need to get 2 more wireless headphones. Oh and the sound is unbelievable, I love to listen to the movies playing in there.

Hello Tiffiny,

Really good hearing from you again. I went a couple of weeks just looking for pictures of the expy, reading the forum and just slowly going crazy. I had not spoken with anyone about the expy since posting with you and Ray. I told Ray how I looked for you and him in those pretty expys when my family and I went to PA for Thanksgiving. Not seeing an expy at all was just such a surprise. However, there is something to having the first of something and so maybe I'll be the first down here in eastern NC.

It's very encouraging to hear that your expy is so quiet. I guess really it is just the difference in the 05 and the 07 that gets me so excited. With having a 98 and an 05 that so different from the 07 I just want to experience all the changes.

I love going back to the old post when you, Ray, and others first got your Expys. All of you were just so excited. I can hardly wait to experience that and hopefully one day next week I will.

You can count on me letting you know when it comes in. Thanks for the post.

Mike

Mike

I was wondering if you'd picked yours up yet. I can tell you're excited about waiting for delivery of your Expy...I can't imagine having ordered one and then having to wait as long as you have to get it!

I currently have 2,200 miles on mine. I am as excited to drive it today as I was the first day I picked it up!

First, here are the pro's: Virtually everything. I've had no issues with it whatsoever. The ride is smooth, it's quiet - but the sound of the engine is Nascar revisited when you gun the motor. Great soundtrack! I drove with 7 people in it last Tuesday, and a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S owner rode in the rear seat. He commented at least 3 times about how nice the Expy was inside/out and how nice it rode. The nav system is great, and I used it extensively. I still have to figure out how to program and use the voice commands, but I am looking forward to that. It's fun to look at vehicles I once thought to be big and bad (i.e., Hummer, Escalade, Yukon, even Ford's own Navigator) and note how diminutive they seem now (insert jokes about vehicle size = manhood dimensions here). The heated seats are great on cold mornings. The vehicle feels incredibly solid over bumpy roads, and I have no reason to believe that squeaks and rattles will infest the vehicle when it's got 50,000 miles on it. I formerly owned a 420SEL Benz, and I think the Expy is more luxurious and drives nicer. It handles great too (for a big vehicle). I do have the upgraded 20" wheels, so that may make a difference over the 18"s. This is probably a tie as my favorite vehicle I've ever owned, (with my '03 T-Bird).

Con's: Understand, this is REALLY nitpicking, and I don't even like to mention this because it's not a big deal. But I want to mention everything I can think of. The "miles to empty" gauge in the message center is a bit conservative for my tastes. The warning comes on with 50 miles to go, and if you fill up then there's still room for about 8 gallons of gas. I would like finer adjustment on the radio volume: It seems the volume I want it at is always in-between the smallest increment of adjustment available. As far as comments about the trans and the shifting between 1st and 2nd from a stop: I've noticed that it's become more intuitive as I've driven it. I don't usually mash the pedal at takeoff anyway, but now it really takes a supremely light touch to have it start out in 2nd gear (which I'd prefer it not do). Read my other posts about the trans. After having driven it now for these 2,200 miles, I have no complaints about it at all. I believe it's shifting the way it was meant to shift. And of course, it's a very smooth transmission.

And a final note that really says something about Ford products: Prior to buying my '02 Explorer Sport Trac (traded in for the Expy), I would never have thought I would buy American again. But my resulting experience with my former local Ford dealer/service (thank you Jarrett Ford - Dade City, FL), the reliability of my Sport Trac and T-bird (34,000 miles - no mechanical issues at all), and the fine interior design and fit/finish led to a huge altitude adjustment. (A little joke for the aviators out there...duh.) I am a proud Ford owner, and laugh when I think about how much people pay for premium foreign brand names (and the resulting high service/maintenance costs). Not that those premium brand names aren't fine vehicles, but they're not worth $30,000 to $40,000 more. No way. Not after having sampled, owned, and driven my Expy for the last 2,200 miles.

Let us know as soon as you get yours, and don't forget pics! I'm sure you won't be disappointed. And just to get you wound up even further, here's a couple of other pics of my Expy.

post-24826-1165429921_thumb.jpg

post-24826-1165429981_thumb.jpg

post-24826-1165430030_thumb.jpg

Ray

Hello Ray:

I can not believe my luck. My expy showed up yesterday around 2:30 eastern time. I take the rest of the day off and go to the dealership because I just want to get in my new ride and hit the rode. I get up this morning and my automatic daytime running lights don't work. They worked great last night but not today. So I've taken it back to the dealer this morning to see if they can fix the problem.

It's a beauty and the ride is amazingly different from my 05. Love the interior and I really believe the speakers in the 07 have been upgraded because it's a far better sound than I had in the 05 and I was happy with that radio and speakers. The ride feels so tight and firm. It's great to know that you are in a big, safe, truck but at the same time have such a smooth cozy ride. I'll keep you posted.

Mike

Mike you are funny, but I so know what you are going through. I hated waiting to the point that I will probably never order a car again... I now have 1950 miles on mine and I still love it as much as the first day. I love the pick up and go and the smoothness. It handles wonderful and I dont see many issues. The 1st and 2nd gear thing is weird at first but once you get used to it, its fine. All the 6 speeds are like this. I have flown over train tracks and no rattles and was so quiet. I had the excursion before and this doesnt handle anything like that. And my 03 Expy was so rough in the ride compared to this. You cant even compare the rides. I do not miss my 03 one bit.

I took my family out to a laker game a week ago and we had 4 kids and 4 adults in the EL and the 4 adults are all well over 6 ft and we were all very comfortable. My Dad is a chevy owner and has now said when he has the money he wants an EL. That is HUGE for my Dad to say. The Navi is wonderful, got us to the Staple Center with no problems. I usually get lost every time and i have been there many times. Now I was surprised when I pulled in to the VIP parking all the security guys were freaking out over my El. They havent seen one yet. I found that very odd. They said it was HOT...

Good luck cant wait to see pictures of yours!!!

Ray, I do have to agree with you. Its annoying in a way but kinda of good too. Because it doesnt cost as much to fill if you do it right when the light was on. I tried to play around with it and drive for a while after the light came on but after about 60 miles when it showed 0 I couldnt handle it, made me to nervous. haha Its weird how ever model is different. Our 06 F150 when the light comes on we have exactly 2 gallons.

Mike, Ray and I are in Southern California. I still have NOT seen one on the road. Its really weird, nice but weird. I still get looks everywhere I go. I check parking lots all the time and the day I find one I am parking next to it!!! EVerywhere I go I always find the new suburbans and I sneak up and park next to them, I love the EL so much better than the new Burb. I liked the 06 but not the 07.

As for the rough ride on your 05, mine was the same in the 03. Major differnce you will be amazed. I should ask my brother in law how the 17's ride, thats what they got on there XLT EL. I absolutly enjoy this SUV to the point were I want to be in it 24/7. My kids are so good in it too with the DVD player, now I need to get 2 more wireless headphones. Oh and the sound is unbelievable, I love to listen to the movies playing in there.

Good Morning Tiffiny:

Just wanted to let you know that my expy came in at about 2:30pm eastern time on Dec. 7th. Picked it up from the dealership and returned it this morning. I ordered the daylight running lights for mine and they worked great yesterday and last night. However, this morning they would not come on so I took it back to hopefully be fixed today.

I enjoyed driving it last night. It feels so much tighter and firmer than the 05. The seats and interior are great and the ride so much smoother. I will try to get pics later. It is a regular size EB because I have just one son and I got him an F 150 4x4 and my wife has an 06 EB Explorer. I got the expy simply because I love them. I'll keep you posted when I get it back, just wanted to let you know I did have it finally even if temporarily.

Mike :drop:

Good Morning Tiffiny:

Just wanted to let you know that my expy came in at about 2:30pm eastern time on Dec. 7th. Picked it up from the dealership and returned it this morning. I ordered the daylight running lights for mine and they worked great yesterday and last night. However, this morning they would not come on so I took it back to hopefully be fixed today.

I enjoyed driving it last night. It feels so much tighter and firmer than the 05. The seats and interior are great and the ride so much smoother. I will try to get pics later. It is a regular size EB because I have just one son and I got him an F 150 4x4 and my wife has an 06 EB Explorer. I got the expy simply because I love them. I'll keep you posted when I get it back, just wanted to let you know I did have it finally even if temporarily.

Mike :drop:

What a bummer you had to take it right back in. I too got the day time lights and havent had a problem yet. The only problem I had was the brakes and that are still squeaking but not to bad. I will probably always drive a big SUV even when my kids are grown up and gone. Just love that big SUV feeling. Your son is lucky to have you as a dad!!! We have talked about what type of cars/truicks we would buy for our children and its a toss between the F150's or maybe something like the fusions. I still have 8 years till I have to worry about it but I also have 4 kids to worry about cars! What color did you get? White right? I'm trying to remember.

Well, I am glad yours finally came in even if it was short lived. Enjoy it when you get it back, hoping they get it done right away for you.

Hi Tiffiny:

I got it back but I don't know if the lights are still working as they should. Now if I have my lights on automatic, the headlamps only will come on and only after I take the gear shift out of park. Last night, both my headlamps and fog lights would come at the same time and this is while I was still in park. I don't know if fogs come on with auto only at night or what. How do your lights work on auto ?

Hi Tiffiny:

I got it back but I don't know if the lights are still working as they should. Now if I have my lights on automatic, the headlamps only will come on and only after I take the gear shift out of park. Last night, both my headlamps and fog lights would come at the same time and this is while I was still in park. I don't know if fogs come on with auto only at night or what. How do your lights work on auto ?

As far as I know from memory is the daytime running lights are only on when in gear. and only the lights come on not the fog lights. Then when its dark both the fog lights and regular lights come on. I didnt know until the other day when I was parked in from of a window that the lights go off when in park. Hope this helps. Is this what yours is doing? If so thats normal.

As far as I know from memory is the daytime running lights are only on when in gear. and only the lights come on not the fog lights. Then when its dark both the fog lights and regular lights come on. I didnt know until the other day when I was parked in from of a window that the lights go off when in park. Hope this helps. Is this what yours is doing? If so thats normal.

Yes that is exactly how mine are working. Wow !!! what a relief. Thank you for responding so quickly because I can now get back in my new expy and enjoy everything.

You asked earlier what color mine was. I think I related that it isn't an EL but it looks just like Ray's only shorter. I also have the same in interior camel with greystone accents.

I want to thank you again for letting me know about the lights so soon. I'm going to leave work right now so I can get that sucker back on the road and just have a ball.

I'll post again on Monday with all my wonderful feelings about expys. :happy feet:

Mike -

I second what Tiff says - that's the way my daytime driving lights operate as well (no fogs). Finally you got yours!! I am glad you like the ride. I am sure it's probably even smoother with the smaller tires, so yes, I think it's simply the new platform is just that good! Try not to run up too many miles your first weekend (did about 750 on mine it's first weekend).

Tiff - I saw a charcoal '07 EL a few weeks ago going through Ojai. Thought it might be you by chance, but later realized it had 18" wheels. I believe you have the 20"s - so it couldn't have been you. I didn't mention it then because I was still very new to the posts and didn't want you do think you had a stalker...haha!

Ray

Tiff - I saw a charcoal '07 EL a few weeks ago going through Ojai. Thought it might be you by chance, but later realized it had 18" wheels. I believe you have the 20"s - so it couldn't have been you. I didn't mention it then because I was still very new to the posts and didn't want you do think you had a stalker...haha!

Ray

Ray,

Did it have Vista plates on it? Maybe it was my In Laws... They have the same color as mine but in the XLT version. I hate that they picked the same color as mine, I like to be different and it drives me nuts. When we got our 03 Expy we had 3 other 03 Expy's all Brother and Sister in laws. See my Mom sells cars as well at Vista and they get good deals and always like what we drive so they follow... :doh:

I think the farthest north I have been in the El was Camarillo. Now no stalking please!!! :speedie: Seriously if you do ever see my El around honk say hi I wont run... I am dying to see another one around.

Took delivery of mine 11-18.Limited,White Sand Tri-Coat,20"wheels. Only have 700 miles but so far I love it. Had a 97 that I got amost exactly 10 years ago.The truck is a dream to drive can't wait to take it on a road trip. Rear seat is very comfortable. Much easier to manuver than the 97.6 speed transmission seems smooth and I'm hoping will improve gas mileage from 97.

I think you will definitely see a mileage increase. I even got my 05, that I traded in for my 07 EB, up to 21.7 MPG. Of course I don't know where you live, but I live in eastern North Carolina where there are no mountains, large hills, etc. I only have 480 miles on my new one but it is up to 19.6 already.

Your expy sounds beautiful, ENJOY!!

Mike :stats:

Edited by proman

Took delivery of mine 11-18.Limited,White Sand Tri-Coat,20"wheels. Only have 700 miles but so far I love it. Had a 97 that I got amost exactly 10 years ago.The truck is a dream to drive can't wait to take it on a road trip. Rear seat is very comfortable. Much easier to manuver than the 97.6 speed transmission seems smooth and I'm hoping will improve gas mileage from 97.

Oh Thats the color I WANT!!!! Do you have pictures??? When my lease is up on this one I am getting the White Sand... The dark colors just show to much stuff even though it does look good. Glad you are happy with yours.

Mike -

I second what Tiff says - that's the way my daytime driving lights operate as well (no fogs). Finally you got yours!! I am glad you like the ride. I am sure it's probably even smoother with the smaller tires, so yes, I think it's simply the new platform is just that good! Try not to run up too many miles your first weekend (did about 750 on mine it's first weekend).

Ray

Ray: I found of course, that there was nothing wrong with my lights at all. The salesman did not relate how the lights operated assuming I was smart enough to know, fooled him Ha Ha.

I have a little over 700 on mine. I really do like it. You know you can read the reviews and take in to consideration all the changes made but just not really know until you get it. Since I did not test drive it, I was just concerned that it would not be as advertised. Since I had two expys in the past, I knew I wanted the truck primarily because of all the new changes and the additional safety items. It is just great that it has the great ride and comfort to go along with the new additions. It really is as different as night and day compared to the 05 I traded in. I have got to try and control myself because I just want to drive all the time. If I keep this up I'll have 25,000 on it by the end of 6 months.

Mike

I concur with Mike.

I had a 97, 99, 2000, 2004 and now a 2007 EL Limited.

This is by far a better step up in quality and comfort from any of its past cousins.

I couldn't test drive it either since I ordered on pure faith.

It was worth it since the ride and quiet is outstanding.

I'm not just saying that because I bought one either.

My better half keeps comparing it to the Lincoln Continental she has.

She likes the driveability, comfort and quiet much better.

Consider its size when hearing that.

It think it was far more than what I expected.

Bob

I concur with Mike.

I had a 97, 99, 2000, 2004 and now a 2007 EL Limited.

This is by far a better step up in quality and comfort from any of its past cousins.

I couldn't test drive it either since I ordered on pure faith.

It was worth it since the ride and quiet is outstanding.

I'm not just saying that because I bought one either.

My better half keeps comparing it to the Lincoln Continental she has.

She likes the driveability, comfort and quiet much better.

Consider its size when hearing that.

It think it was far more than what I expected.

Bob

Bob: I also think that the sound system in the 07 expy is much better. ELlover agrees. How about you ? There is just such an incredible sound in my 07 EB that I have never had with my other expys. The increase to 360 watts seems to also make a huge difference.

Mike :hyper:

That is so true. With the tweeters stationed there, it's like surround sound. I like different kinds of music and all of it sounds great with this system. For whatever reason, I just thought that the sound track for Pirates of the Carr: to be so good. I bought the CD and it just sounds super. The system picks up every instrument being played and the base is just great.

Mike