My Tour of the Rouge Factory

Daryll40

Last week, while in the Detroit area, I visited the Henry Ford Museum and took a tour of the Rouge factory, building F150's and Lincoln pickup trucks. It was fascinating! And it looked like a real quality product being assembled. I don't have the need for that type of vehicle, but after seeing them build them I almost wanted to buy one myself! It was interesting to me how the doors come off as the carcass comes into the assembly area, go thru their own door assembly line, then end up on the original completed vehicle at the end.

The only negative was a visual turn off. I saw one fat, hairy UAWer taking a nap, literally, on the bare floor of a mostly not-yet- assembled F150 during the end of lunch time, just before the line started moving again. Ford should forbid that because, frankly, it helps fuel stereotypes. But to be balanced everyone else that I saw was hard working and jobs that I am sure can become tedious.

I also found it interesting that both the Ford and Lincoln truck come down the same line. I knew that a Lincoln was a gussied up Ford, but I guess I wanted to believe there was some secret ingredient that made it better. I can see that the ingredient is only different trim parts. Not a big deal, just a surprise seeing it in my face.

I hope that $2 and below gas will help Ford. We've had at least one Ford in our extended family since my mother worked as a secretary at the Ford plant in St Louis in the late 1950s (she got laid off, however, after the Edsel debacle). Currently we have a 2003 Mountaineer...after 3 Explorers...and this is the best one yet. In 55000 miles, there has not been one single defect or trip back to the dealer except for normal service. If gas stays low, I just might trade it for an '07 or an '08 next year.

Anyway, kudos to you guys building the F150. It was great to see how it's done and impressive!