6.0 PSD Fuel Tank big problems.

Does anyone here have any experience with the delamination of Ford's PSD fuel tanks. Apparently the tanks are internally coated with some type of material that is not compatible with diesel fuel, with a little time the tank lining starts to get soft and peel, it then clogs up the "sock type" fuel filter to make matters worse it seems that some of the lining also "liquefies" and starts causing problems in the injectors.

If your truck is having all kinds of ongoing driveability problems have your dealer check the tank, I think it'll cure your problems......until the replacement tank does the same thing...and be prepared to spend upwards of $2K or more depending on the damage the liner has done, because the warranty supposedly doesn't cover this...yes I am serious.

Does anyone here have any experience with the delamination of Ford's PSD fuel tanks. Apparently the tanks are internally coated with some type of material that is not compatible with diesel fuel, with a little time the tank lining starts to get soft and peel, it then clogs up the "sock type" fuel filter to make matters worse it seems that some of the lining also "liquefies" and starts causing problems in the injectors.

If your truck is having all kinds of ongoing driveability problems have your dealer check the tank, I think it'll cure your problems......until the replacement tank does the same thing...and be prepared to spend upwards of $2K or more depending on the damage the liner has done, because the warranty supposedly doesn't cover this...yes I am serious.

The owner's manual specifically states to not use more than 5% bio.... IF you think ONLY Ford is having this issue, guess again...

Yes, I am having that exact problem currently with my truck. It has the 40 gallon fuel tank but according to the dealer the liner is coming off and Ford WILL NOT cover it under warranty. They say it is covered under the 3/36 warranty and thats it. Basically, its our problem if the liner on there tank comes off even though all we have done is put fuel in it, really doesn't make sense to me.

Does anyone know the manufacture for the fuel tanks? I specifically would like to know where the 40 gallon tank comes from.

BTW, the thing about the 5% bio fuel. There are states (MN & KS) that are required to have 2% bio diesel fuel mixed in. From my understanding, you could be putting in 2% bio diesel fuel and you don't even know it since most stated only require to state if it is 5%+ bio diesel.

So my guess is that the tank liner can't hold up too diesel fuel. I would think there would be a requirement for a tank liner.... Anyone know anything about this?

• 2 weeks later...

:redcard:

I was told by a Ford Dealer Service person that it is a potential problem in all

Diesel F250 thru F550 Trucks, 1999 and up year Mod.

Our fleet includes 1999 thru 2006 Mod. trucks F250 thru F450 , this problem has

ocured in one truck a 2000 yr mod. F450 7.3, Cost of repairs aprox. $2000.00 . ( we use no Bio. diesel straight diesel only)

Del Jackson

Service Manager Western Telecom Inc.

I am very upset with Ford Motor Co. policy of no contact with there customer after a complaint has been referred to engineering.

Customers have no access to a person with any authority whatsoever, Your phone inquiries always end at the desk of the same person and that is a dead end, this has happend to me on two different complaints.

Richard L. Schaub.

Owner, Western Telecom Inc.

Edited by deljack