Anyone from AAI paint dept?

Evil95GT

My brother in law *finally* bought a Mustang to "celebrate" his divorce.

He took delivery almost a week ago. The car looked great...............until we cleaned it up, and clay-barred it.

:drop:

This car has got one of THE worst factory paint jobs I have ever seen in my lifetime. Hell, I thought my '95 was horrendous. There are very evident DA marks on the roof, pillars, and 1/4 panels. Not baby marks..........marks that make me wonder how in the HELL this car escaped the plant.

This isn't a bash or anything, so please view this accordingly. I'm a former paint employee (Escape/Econoline), and that's why I'm floored over the amount of defects in this car. I know how picky the inspectors can be (I hated polish line). I'm just wondering if maybe they're having problems with E-coat or something?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

:finger:

He took delivery almost a week ago. The car looked great...............until we cleaned it up, and clay-barred it.

This car has got one of THE worst factory paint jobs I have ever seen in my lifetime. Hell, I thought my '95 was horrendous. There are very evident DA marks on the roof, pillars, and 1/4 panels. Not baby marks..........marks that make me wonder how in the HELL this car escaped the plant.

This isn't a bash or anything, so please view this accordingly. I'm a former paint employee (Escape/Econoline), and that's why I'm floored over the amount of defects in this car. I know how picky the inspectors can be (I hated polish line). I'm just wondering if maybe they're having problems with E-coat or something?

i work the polish line at cap,and you would not belive the da marks that they let go to the floor with this buy out stuff they have new people in the e-coat scuff booth that don't know how to use a da it's really sad and i'm sorry about the finish on the stang

There have been and still are problems with mapping from E-Coat. This would explain all the DA Type marks. As is the case with all plants numbers are first.

I work in paint but not inspection, but i see E-Coat problems all the time. We need a better filter system. I was told by PPG who oversees our system that it is like taking a bath in dirty water all the time. So untill this changes, like a new paint shop, things will get out. This is a reason why we are losing ground to

Toyota. I hope this helps and can understand how you feel

Thank you to both of you! :happy feet:

I had wondered about the mapping, because I've seen some severe cases of it when I worked in the E-coat scuff booth. At the height of the mapping (it was on every other unit), we were told that the doors (which came from another stamping plant) were contaminated with an oil. At the end of the "investigation", we were told that the E-coat itself was contaminated, as was the phosphor bath (sp).

Thanks for the input!

If anyone is still out there...........

I know he's pretty much stuck with the DA marks. But what about the dirt? IIRC, they used 3M Finesse-It as a polishing compound. Any idea what grit wet-sand paper we should use? Thanks in advance.

Can you explain what "DA" marks are? I have a 2007 Mustang GT and the paint is flawless. I washed and claybarred it the week after I took delivery and found almost no flaws at all.

Mustang014.jpg

Thank you to both of you! :happy feet:

I had wondered about the mapping, because I've seen some severe cases of it when I worked in the E-coat scuff booth. At the height of the mapping (it was on every other unit), we were told that the doors (which came from another stamping plant) were contaminated with an oil. At the end of the "investigation", we were told that the E-coat itself was contaminated, as was the phosphor bath (sp).

Thanks for the input!

You might try some 12oo wet sand paper. I have a three inch sander and sometimes I use mirror glaze instead of water. We use gray finese and a high speed buffer. The three inch help blend the defect into the ok finish. This usually works if you have the time. Most of the time it is faster and cheaper to repaint

You might try some 12oo wet sand paper. I have a three inch sander and sometimes I use mirror glaze instead of water. We use gray finese and a high speed buffer. The three inch help blend the defect into the ok finish. This usually works if you have the time. Most of the time it is faster and cheaper to repaint

Whats up with the paint quality on some Fords?

Interesting topic as I have a new 2007 Shelby that has bunches of marks that appear to be from a DA type sander. Do they use a da type sander on e-coat? Appears the marks are now swelling as paint shrinks too. Not sure what all is underneath but looks horrible.

Does anyone know the approximate paint thickness in mils as it leaves factory? Or what typical is?

Whats up with the paint quality on some Fords?

Interesting topic as I have a new 2007 Shelby that has bunches of marks that appear to be from a DA type sander. Do they use a da type sander on e-coat? Appears the marks are now swelling as paint shrinks too. Not sure what all is underneath but looks horrible.

Does anyone know the approximate paint thickness in mils as it leaves factory? Or what typical is?

So you see it too?

I'm not sure if it's the same at AAI, but I worked in E-coat scuff @ OHAP. We used DA sanders in the booth to remove bad spots or "mapping". The sandpaper was 320 grit.

Seems we're discovering more marks every time we view the car. Because Ohio is a crappy climate, this car went from the dealership straight to the garage, where we pampered and cleaned it. The marks look like lengthy "swirlies"..........just think of what a phone cord looks like if you stretch it out a little bit. The roof is just horrible.............looks like someone actually had the DA up on it's side, digging in and "etching" the area.

Weird that it's like that on a GT500 though. I would have almost expected those to be treated as "show jobs".

So you see it too?

I'm not sure if it's the same at AAI, but I worked in E-coat scuff @ OHAP. We used DA sanders in the booth to remove bad spots or "mapping". The sandpaper was 320 grit.

Seems we're discovering more marks every time we view the car. Because Ohio is a crappy climate, this car went from the dealership straight to the garage, where we pampered and cleaned it. The marks look like lengthy "swirlies"..........just think of what a phone cord looks like if you stretch it out a little bit. The roof is just horrible.............looks like someone actually had the DA up on it's side, digging in and "etching" the area.

Weird that it's like that on a GT500 though. I would have almost expected those to be treated as "show jobs".

I stopped by one of the more expensive body shops today and he had a hard time believing a company would let a car out like this. He did affirm they are da marks too. He spotted a lot more than I did. He agreed they were most likely in primer coats then painted over.

Think I will have them take car back. The huge over sticker price paid does not matter here. Is it just the AAI plant or are other plants seeing same thing?

Here are a few pics of my Shelby paint

Its no wonder Fomoco is going down the tubes. Here I am a very very loyal Ford customer and bleeding FordBlue for over 40yrs and I get this.

th_DSC03646.jpg

th_paint_scratches_roof_above_sticker.jpg

th_sanding_scratches_above_quarter_gla.jpg

Like the guy with the water leak fomoco has made a lot of promises but seems they do not want to follow through.

People from Ford who have been involved with this car are Mr Mulally, Mr Fields, Mr Codina, Mr Wright, Mr(s) Jones from executive offices and on and on.

They had me believing someone at ford gave a crap but guess not. They expect me to jump through hoops for nothing. Sorry FoMoCo you struck out here.

They also let delivering dealer get away with not filling up my fuel tank, not doing a proper PDI. There was a visible coolant leak which still exists and at time of pickup the coolant was low, signs indicate they never checked the trans or rear axle for fluid. Jerked me around with delivery.

Sorry Ford but you flunked the final test~!

Hello my friend,

Im sorry to hear your dis satifaction on the paint job. The first thing that comes to my mind , is the fight that we have going on at AAI in regards to the buy offf power that Manage has on the QLS system. The District Rep in that area has been fighting to take the power of buy off, away from Management. I support her efforts!!

Our UAW inspectors, will turn a car down due to defects that dosent meet the specifications set by the Company. Management , will in turn overrule the descion of the inspector, and ship the car all in the name of productivity. The buy off power of Management must be stopped!!! The Union must step up to the plate, and fight to make this happen...........Contact the International UAW, and help us fight this issue.....

Well, That was fast.

No more negative comments until I hear back from FoMoCo. They just called me and are willing to try to work things out a bit differently now.

Well,

I guess that answers the question about , Does Ford watch this Board? Dosent it...................I wonder who else is watching

Edited by fishinguy

Well, That was fast.

No more negative comments until I hear back from FoMoCo. They just called me and are willing to try to work things out a bit differently now.

Superduty,

if the UAW would step up to the plate, and take some authority away from Management, in regards to "Buy Off power" in the QLS system, we , as the Membership, would have greater control over the Quality that we ship....Seems to me that BOTH parties are more interested in quanity, and not quality..............Its a shame , isnt it.

Superduty,

if the UAW would step up to the plate, and take some authority away from Management, in regards to "Buy Off power" in the QLS system, we , as the Membership, would have greater control over the Quality that we ship....Seems to me that BOTH parties are more interested in quanity, and not quality..............Its a shame , isnt it.

fishinguy, thanks for your response. It was one of the Ford promises again but now nothing. FoMoCo has made me a lot of promises but seems they have a hard time following through.

In the mean time I will post a few more pics. Its pretty hard to get them to turn out. Naked eye they can be seen from 4-5' away but when I try to take pics the only parts that show are in area of the above flourecent lighting reflection. I can get them to show up with the video camera though. . How do I make any contact as you described above?

on this particular car it seems either something happened on pass side and was repaired or the person either :was not taught properly that a finer grit paper should be used as final or this person simply did not car what it looked like.

When they do quality checks are they inside or outside? Sunlight they are pretty hard to see but under good lighting stick out like a sore thumb.

I would be curious to find more of how things are done in the paint dept and what the quality people actually look for and how close they look.

Especially when a flaw is found how they go about fixing it. On this car there is also a shallow dent in roof on drivers side at edge and the front fender to door fit is not so good on drivers side. These are kind of nit-picky items but never the less still there. THe DA marks in paint are my biggest issue. Seems like lower portions of doors are "very" orange peel looking.

Would like to also find out what brand materials are used when they color sand a car. This entire car should be color sanded and buffed to make it look like my first Shelby did. (Black Shelby)

on this particular car it seems either something happened on pass side and was repaired or the person either :was not taught properly that a finer grit paper should be used as final or this person simply did not car what it looked like.

When they do quality checks are they inside or outside? Sunlight they are pretty hard to see but under good lighting stick out like a sore thumb.

I would be curious to find more of how things are done in the paint dept and what the quality people actually look for and how close they look.

Especially when a flaw is found how they go about fixing it. On this car there is also a shallow dent in roof on drivers side at edge and the front fender to door fit is not so good on drivers side. These are kind of nit-picky items but never the less still there. THe DA marks in paint are my biggest issue. Seems like lower portions of doors are "very" orange peel looking.

Would like to also find out what brand materials are used when they color sand a car. This entire car should be color sanded and buffed to make it look like my first Shelby did. (Black Shelby)

Something else I am curious about is: If there are all these big layoffs why is fomoco hiring outside help. I just heard there is at least one new hire in the paint dept at AAI. Could newbies to the dept becausing painting issues? How many new outside help people have they been hiring? Heard its for over 40hrs per week and full time temp people. Is this how they do it?

Something else I am curious about is: If there are all these big layoffs why is fomoco hiring outside help. I just heard there is at least one new hire in the paint dept at AAI. Could newbies to the dept becausing painting issues? How many new outside help people have they been hiring? Heard its for over 40hrs per week and full time temp people. Is this how they do it?

Never made sense to me either, but the fact is this:

Ford recruits TPTs and TFTs to fill in "empty spaces".........be it folks who don't show up (absenteeism), folks on medical leave, etc. Rarely do they bring these people in with the intent on hiring them full time. I held on to that little pipe dream for 3 years before I got wise to the game.