US Fiesta will be revealed in JANUARY

I'm not a Ford employee, so I hope this post is appropriate:

As gasoline approaches $5/gal., B-cars become better choices for

commuters and people needing run-about vehicles.

There are few points Ford would do well to consider:

-Lose the Fiesta name. A lot of us remember the Korean Fiesta. Maybe the FreeStyle name would fit here better?

-It would need to do at least 110mph and achieve 0-60 around 8secs. Thats important for hwy commuters.

-Don't skimp on the interiors. My wife loves the heated seats in her Rabbit.

-How about a BOLD panarama roof or targa option? A commuter car should be a blast to drive!

-As a commuter I love having audio options. A hard drive based jukebox (like Flex) is worth the money!

-Get 5-Star safety ratings all the way around, THAT is MORE important than losing 1-2 mpg.

-How about a really fun performance version...aka a mini-Mustang?

My 2 cents

I agree with you nearly 100%, however, I'm not so concerned about the Fiesta name use. If they do use the name, it can pulled off, as long as they have the car to back it up (i.e. quality, style, etc.).

Ford needs to put a lot of R&D into the small car effort, just as much if not more than their current truck effort. Will that happen? Probably not because of profitability concerns.

All the points you make are good ones. I'm not anti-small car, quite the contrary, it just seems in the United States at least...you have to forego your self-preservation instinct to purchase a small car. Considering the cost cutting that goes into building one, and then there is the factor of what's on the road with you. Other countries, where small cars are prevalent, it's highly doubtful that those drivers have to deal with a complete lineup of Superduties and other heavy duty trucks, that just aren't small car friendly no matter how you build them. While Ford is working on their small car lineup, we now have a F-450 available for purchase by the aloof weekend warrior to tow his toys he thinks he needs...but that's another thread.

There was never a Korean made Ford Fiesta. Those were called the Festiva and Aspire, and were based on Kia cars, not Euro Fords.

I am hoping for a 2009 MY, but the new Ford B car [most likely wont be called Fiesta] will make the Chevy Aveo look like a 1993 Festiva.

There was never a Korean made Ford Fiesta. Those were called the Festiva and Aspire, and were based on Kia cars, not Euro Fords.

I am hoping for a 2009 MY, but the new Ford B car [most likely wont be called Fiesta] will make the Chevy Aveo look like a 1993 Festiva.

I stand corrected! I did mix up Fiesta & Festiva. (I'm thinking I may not be the only one however!)

And the current Aveo isn't much to look at!

Mazda has a pretty nice car that Ford can base a B-Car out of.

I think it's called the Mazda 2.

mazda2_2007_geneva__jpg72_450.jpg

I agree with you nearly 100%, however, I'm not so concerned about the Fiesta name use. If they do use the name, it can pulled off, as long as they have the car to back it up (i.e. quality, style, etc.).

Ford needs to put a lot of R&D into the small car effort, just as much if not more than their current truck effort. Will that happen? Probably not because of profitability concerns.

All the points you make are good ones. I'm not anti-small car, quite the contrary, it just seems in the United States at least...you have to forego your self-preservation instinct to purchase a small car. Considering the cost cutting that goes into building one, and then there is the factor of what's on the road with you. Other countries, where small cars are prevalent, it's highly doubtful that those drivers have to deal with a complete lineup of Superduties and other heavy duty trucks, that just aren't small car friendly no matter how you build them. While Ford is working on their small car lineup, we now have a F-450 available for purchase by the aloof weekend warrior to tow his toys he thinks he needs...but that's another thread.

You hit the nail on the head. Ideally, we could drive the Ariel Atom for a fun go-go car. But since collisions occur,

and collisions with F-450's, Escalades and big rig trucks occur too, being in a highly safety-rated car is now a REQUIREMENT in the U.S. In Japan & Europe those big vehicles aren't seen as much. The biggest Hino I've seen in Japan is a bobtail! Would Americans pay a little more for fuel if they were made aware of how safe their Fords were? I think so.

Edited by joihan777