08 Escape/Mariner/Tribute Hybrid Mileage

igor

the actual 08 ratings are:

Escape: 34/30

Camry: 33/34

so not as nice comparison.

Igor

Why in the world would you want to compare the Escape to a Camry? Those two couldn't be more different or serve a more different purpose.

BTW that increas in economy came witha larger tax credit as well. For FWD it went from $2600 to $3000.

In my fully-loaded 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4WD (and with Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires replacing the Continental Eco Plus tires) I took a long-distance road trip from Trevose, PA to Southfield, MI, and back, approx. 600 miles each way. I got 31 mpg going up, and 32 mpg coming back. I kept the speed between 65 mph and 70 mph, and drafted behind 18-wheelers whenever I could. Outside temperatures ranged from 38 F to 52 F, and it was raining most of the time. In normal suburban driving I'm getting between 27 mpg and 29 mpg. The 2008 EPA ratings are 29 for city and 27 for highway. I've noticed that mileage improves as temperature increases, undoubtedly because the batteries and engine are more efficient at higher temperatures. So, perhaps, in the summer my mileage will be even better!

Why in the world would you want to compare the Escape to a Camry? Those two couldn't be more different or serve a more different purpose.

BTW that increas in economy came witha larger tax credit as well. For FWD it went from $2600 to $3000.

I just used Camry as a "benchmark" - it is not perfect...but it is considered to be "great" hybrid, it has 4banger engine. The Prius is too advanced to be compared to anything, the Highlander and Accord are V6 a,d a this point all GM vehicles are BAS (mild-hybrid) - the Camry with it's 40mpg seemed like a good benchmark for hybrid 4 cylinder mileage ... and the fact that an SUV got so close to the sedan mileage is a significant feat IMO.

Igor

I just used Camry as a "benchmark" - it is not perfect...but it is considered to be "great" hybrid, it has 4banger engine. The Prius is too advanced to be compared to anything, the Highlander and Accord are V6 a,d a this point all GM vehicles are BAS (mild-hybrid) - the Camry with it's 40mpg seemed like a good benchmark for hybrid 4 cylinder mileage ... and the fact that an SUV got so close to the sedan mileage is a significant feat IMO.

Igor

OK, now I see where you are going. BTW, the Toyota hybrid synergy and Escape have very similar powertrains. I think it would make an interesting experiment to bench-test the two against each other.