Black Wall versus White Lettered Tires

proman

I bought my O7 expy on December 7th, 2006. I got the stock continental tires with the white letters. The white is already disappearing and the tires look like I have had them for two years rather than a matter of months.

This is my third expedition and all I have ever had is white lettered. On the GoodYear and Michilins, tires the lettering remained white and looked good when cleaned. This 07 and my 05 expys had the continentals and both set of tires looked bad after a matter of months.

I know from reading this forum that a lot of the members don't think much of the continental but the 07 stock tire has been very smooth and appears to be wider than the ones that came on the 05. I can't really complain about the ride of the tire.

To make this a shorter story, I would like to know if other members who have continental tires are also having this problem with new tires looking old after just months. Also, I have noticed black wall tires on a number of vehicles and they really look good, and I'm just talking about the physical appearance. I know the people who own some of these vehicles and know that they are at least 2 years old but the black wall tires still really look great.

Are black walls made differently and hold their looks longer ? Would appreciate your opinions.

Mike

Hello Pioneer:

Yes, I have used bleach white,etc. It appears that the white is literally disappearing on these new tires. But also happened to the continentals that I had on my 05 expy and I had it for only 1 year and 4 months. Plus the black part of the tire now looks OLD. I wash this bad boy at least once every two weeks so it isn't from not cleaning.

Mike

I have had Goodyears and Michelins with white letters and had no problems. They were very worn, got the max out of them, but the letters were still great.

That is why I didn't know if this was a problem just with the continentals.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Long ago... In a galaxy far, far away....

They used to sell something like a large, white, waxy type of crayon to go over the white letter. It was typically applied to your big boss 60 tires on your car that was jacked up in the back... Like I said... Long ago... I bet you can still buy them at the corner parts store. If memory serves me, it worked pretty well.

Hope this helps. :)