Considering V8 transplant

fubbyo

I have a 1994 Ranger whose 3.0 is growing old (181,000 miles), I know it'd last forever as long as I keep it in tune and don't let the oil run low so I'm not doubting reliability, but it's starting to burn some oil, about a quart every 1K, and it's hopelessly anemic. I'll be graduating from college in two years, and I won't be burdened by college loans at all, so I'm thinking that either I'll get a new vehicle (a Ranger with a turbodiesel would be sweet) or I'll put some money into my old truck whom I love very much. So I pose the question: has anyone on the forum done a V8 swap, because I'd like some advice and what kind would the cost be? Would it just be a money pit or what? I've heard that it's pretty simple if you can find an junkyard explorer with a 5.0 and just take the engine and tranny out of it, but is there a K member on the ranger and explorer that I could use as well so I don't have to worry about motor mounts and the like? Or maybe a mustang engine/tranny combo and fab some new motor mounts. Would driveshaft bolt on to a supercab ranger from an explorer, if not what does that cost, or could I just reuse the old one? Also would I be able to fit any performance parts into the engine bay or would the engine dominate the bay?

So I guess overall I'm looking for someone on this site that has experience and I've been to the v8 ranger site, but just curious if anyone on BOF has some insight

Thanks,

fubbyo

I have a 1994 Ranger whose 3.0 is growing old (181,000 miles), I know it'd last forever as long as I keep it in tune and don't let the oil run low so I'm not doubting reliability, but it's starting to burn some oil, about a quart every 1K, and it's hopelessly anemic. I'll be graduating from college in two years, and I won't be burdened by college loans at all, so I'm thinking that either I'll get a new vehicle (a Ranger with a turbodiesel would be sweet) or I'll put some money into my old truck whom I love very much. So I pose the question: has anyone on the forum done a V8 swap, because I'd like some advice and what kind would the cost be? Would it just be a money pit or what? I've heard that it's pretty simple if you can find an junkyard explorer with a 5.0 and just take the engine and tranny out of it, but is there a K member on the ranger and explorer that I could use as well so I don't have to worry about motor mounts and the like? Or maybe a mustang engine/tranny combo and fab some new motor mounts. Would driveshaft bolt on to a supercab ranger from an explorer, if not what does that cost, or could I just reuse the old one? Also would I be able to fit any performance parts into the engine bay or would the engine dominate the bay?

So I guess overall I'm looking for someone on this site that has experience and I've been to the v8 ranger site, but just curious if anyone on BOF has some insight

Thanks,

fubbyo

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.htm

Look under "Engine Swaps". (Scroll down, left side)