MAINTINANCE REQUIREMENTS

DirtyD

I have a 2000 Sable with the 3 liter 24 valve engine, the AX4N transmission and 30,000 miles. The Scheduled Maintenance Guide says the Fuel Filter and Transmission fluid should be changed every 30, 000 miles.

When did these items become a problem that require such frequent replacement?

I don't recall this frequent replacement on my 1991Taurus and my son is still using it as a beater with over 180,000 miles.

Hugo

I have a 2000 Sable with the 3 liter 24 valve engine, the AX4N transmission and 30,000 miles. The Scheduled Maintenance Guide says the Fuel Filter and Transmission fluid should be changed every 30, 000 miles.

When did these items become a problem that require such frequent replacement?

30K sounds reasonable for a fuel filter. Don't want to clog those injectors !

But trans fluid, there is something fishy about that Scheduled Maintenance Guide ! Normally trans fluid is good for at least 100k.

I recall a few years back one of the local dealers was printing up a separate maintenance guide. It was based on the "extreme service" standards in the Owners Manual.

Check both. Could it possibly say "check" not "change" the transmission fluid ?

30K sounds reasonable for a fuel filter. Don't want to clog those injectors !

But trans fluid, there is something fishy about that Scheduled Maintenance Guide ! Normally trans fluid is good for at least 100k.

I recall a few years back one of the local dealers was printing up a separate maintenance guide. It was based on the "extreme service" standards in the Owners Manual.

Check both. Could it possibly say "check" not "change" the transmission fluid ?

Nope, it is listed under the Normal Schedule and it says change the transmission fluid in the AX4N transmission at 30,000 miles.

I would HIGHLY recommend changing the fluid every 30K. Do NOT have the car hooked up to PowerFlush machine when you have the fluid changed...that can cause harm/damage to the internals, possibly causing a clog. Clean, red, unburned smelling fluid is better for the operation of the transmission.

I would also suggest installing a transmission cooler to prolong the life of AX4N. Check out the TaurusClub @ www.taurusclub.com for some more information if you're into doing some of the maintinence yourself. Here's some instructions on flushing it at home if you care: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...nsmission+flush