6/1/07 OHAP gets sent home in 6.6 hours

This is ridiculous, it must be the 6th time since our consolidation. I don't understand how you can pre schedule work and not assure that the parts are there to do the work. I understand inventory tax but it's not due till the end of the quarter. Why wouldn't you keep stock and run it lean at the end of the quarter like every other manufacturer! They just put their selves in a position to pay me 2 10ths I didn't work. What a waste of money. Let's give our stock management a big bonus this year!

This is ridiculous, it must be the 6th time since our consolidation. I don't understand how you can pre schedule work and not assure that the parts are there to do the work. I understand inventory tax but it's not due till the end of the quarter. Why wouldn't you keep stock and run it lean at the end of the quarter like every other manufacturer! They just put their selves in a position to pay me 2 10ths I didn't work. What a waste of money. Let's give our stock management a big bonus this year!

If you are refering to the steering shaft problem in trim last night, when they opened the new box to put it on line it had the wrong parts in it. You can thank our wonderful supplier for that.

Dude, he said they had the wrong parts in the wrong boxes.....nothing was wrong except they were not the correct parts.....get it?

What they where not even steering columns! Or where they Toyota steering columns? If you don't have the patients to answer a post then don't smart-ass. The question wasn't even directed towards you, I was replying to fatfender!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Inventory tax? Do you really think that is why they run out of parts from time to time? Gimme a break. And no, not every other manufacturer has a bunch of stock sitting around just waiting for the day that they just might need it. That is called waste, and no manufacturer that I know of (or service company for that matter) operates that way anymore. In order to have a bunch of stock sitting around, you have to pay for it, and why pay for something you don't need on a continual basis so that you can avoid a potential parts shortage once every 6 months? When we run out of parts these days, which in this case we didn't) it is typically due to the fault of either supplier error or breakdown, or shipping difficulties ie. weather, etc. It doesn't happen often and when it does, they (suppliers) absorb the majority of the incurred costs. Therefore, I doubt they're all too worried about the 2 tenths you claim you got over on them. I know i'm not, I got 10.5 on Friday! Dude, give it a rest and quit being so negative. This shit is right up there with your claims of e-bay being the auto mall of the future replacing dealerships. Ridiculous!

Inventory tax? Do you really think that is why they run out of parts from time to time? Gimme a break. And no, not every other manufacturer has a bunch of stock sitting around just waiting for the day that they just might need it. That is called waste, and no manufacturer that I know of (or service company for that matter) operates that way anymore. In order to have a bunch of stock sitting around, you have to pay for it, and why pay for something you don't need on a continual basis so that you can avoid a potential parts shortage once every 6 months? When we run out of parts these days, which in this case we didn't) it is typically due to the fault of either supplier error or breakdown, or shipping difficulties ie. weather, etc. It doesn't happen often and when it does, they (suppliers) absorb the majority of the incurred costs. Therefore, I doubt they're all too worried about the 2 tenths you claim you got over on them. I know i'm not, I got 10.5 on Friday! Dude, give it a rest and quit being so negative. This shit is right up there with your claims of e-bay being the auto mall of the future replacing dealerships. Ridiculous!

I don't understand, What do you mean parts we don't use. All we order are parts we do use. The last time I checked there was a steering column in every vehicle! It is smart to keep some sort of cushion. When we where in Lorain They maintained a level of stock and almost never ran out unless there where prolonged adverse weather conditions. As for 2-10ths lost time is not as important as lost production. It is more important that they meet their obligations than to worry about the monetary reward! Lastly E-Bay motors listings increase every year and now are more frequently adding Semi-trucks! If you want to get pounded when trading your car then give it away for what the dealer tells you it's worth! I have found a better way for me!

Edited by Furious1Auto

I don't understand, What do you mean parts we don't use. All we order are parts we do use. It is smart to keep some sort of cushion. When we where in Lorain They maintained a level of stock and almost never ran out unless there where prolonged adverse weather conditions. As for 2-10ths lost time is not as important as lost production. It is more important that they meet their obligations than to worry about the monetary reward! Lastly E-Bay motors listings increase every year and now are more frequently adding Semi-trucks! If you want to get pounded when trading your car then give it a way for what the dealer tells you it's worth! I have found a better way for me!

Over producing is wasteful. You need to work somebody "too much" to create that cushion, and that is bad business. The new and improved way of doing things is to have logistical control of your business to avoid the overproduction and storage costs that come along with "leaving a cushion". The best don't do it, and neither should we!

Over producing is wasteful. You need to work somebody "too much" to create that cushion, and that is bad business. The new and improved way of doing things is to have logistical control of your business to avoid the overproduction and storage costs that come along with "leaving a cushion". The best don't do it, and neither should we!

Then you run the risk of production loss in the event of any adverse weather, breakdown, logistical failure. The difference is now you have to run you facility on overtime to attempt to make up for production losses, so you can meet your obligations (Quota)! Also your customer doesn't receive their product in the expected amount of time. How does it cost more to maintain an cushion if your not paying storage fees? Does Ford charge their self storage? If stock is on their dock it doesn't cost them anything! And I'm an Idiot?

Edited by Furious1Auto

Then you run the risk of production loss in the event of any adverse weather, breakdown, logistical failure. The difference is now you have to run you facility on overtime to attempt to make up for production losses, so you can meet your obligations (Quota)! Also your customer doesn't receive their product in the expected amount of time. How does it cost more to maintain an cushion if your not paying storage fees? Does Ford charge their self storage? If stock is on their dock it doesn't cost them anything! And I'm an Idiot?

Basic Accounting principles dumbass. Ford holds a tax obligation for everything that is in that building, both raw materials and finished goods. Ever been to college? didn't think so. Additionally, things happen to product that is left to sit around being a "cushion". Rust, misplacement, improper use, safety hazzards from blocked aisleways. The reasons are numerous. Lets try this one since you obviously have never had any contact with the principle of Accounting. Ever heard of Economics? Google this and learn a little something Son. Just in time shipping (JIT). The benfits are huge, and all successful companies are utilizing these principles. In fact, you find me a successful manufacturing company in todays business climate that does not subscribe to the principles of lean manufacturing and I'll make your next car payment. You won't, because they all do it. But do try, and brush up on your applicable business knowledge before attempting to talk about this stuff in the future. You'll save yourself some embarrassment because you quite obviously have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Basic Accounting principles dumbass. Ford holds a tax obligation for everything that is in that building, both raw materials and finished goods. Ever been to college? didn't think so. Additionally, things happen to product that is left to sit around being a "cushion". Rust, misplacement, improper use, safety hazzards from blocked aisleways. The reasons are numerous. Lets try this one since you obviously have never had any contact with the principle of Accounting. Ever heard of Economics? Google this and learn a little something Son. Just in time shipping (JIT). The benfits are huge, and all successful companies are utilizing these principles. In fact, you find me a successful manufacturing company in todays business climate that does not subscribe to the principles of lean manufacturing and I'll make your next car payment. You won't, because they all do it. But do try, and brush up on your applicable business knowledge before attempting to talk about this stuff in the future. You'll save yourself some embarrassment because you quite obviously have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Just in time or just out of parts! I'm not embarrassed at all. I don't beleave you would be nearly as insulting if you where standing in front of me!

Edited by Furious1Auto

So you know so much, you must be the new President of the company. Don't be so hard on someone just for stating an opinion.

So you know so much, you must be the new President of the company. Don't be so hard on someone just for stating an opinion.

I went in and checked the DROT today and they screwed our entire line except two guys out of pay for their last break! Only three of us noticed and me and the guy next to me had the balls enough to confront the foreman and file a grievance. I can tolerate almost anything else but don't fuck with my earned income! Anyways I'm not sure if our local has even enough strength to handle a no-brain-er like this. Or will they fold at the thought of confrontation, we shall see?

Edited by Furious1Auto

Just in time or just out of parts! I'm not embarrassed at all. I don't beleave you would be nearly as insulting if you where standing in front of me!

I'd guarantee you differently. You can find me in the plant at any time you wish. I have no reason to hide, because I understand the business logic behind the decisions that are made. I don't just come on here bitching and moaning and throwing out inuendos without the ability to back them factually. You do things like race home to inform the internet world that our plant went home early the other night without actually knowing why it was that we were sent home. That's ignorant, and you know it!

This has nothing to do with opinions. It is about the mis-statement of facts. I simply pointed out the simple business logic behind inventory management, which is not my opinion, it is a logistical way of life for most manufacturing companies. You're obviously just as ignorant as he for thinking that his allegations qualify as opinions. They are accusations and they are unfounded. If you're going to trash the company you work for you should at least make sense while doing it I think. Much as if you are going to stick up for somebody you don't know, your argument should at least make a little bit of sense, which in your case, it's far from it. You see, much of this stuff is simply common sense, but people like yourself and Furious whom are always thinking the company is out to get you would never see it that way because you're too ignorant to take the time to actually understand the basic ideas behind decisions that are being made. Pathetic!

This has nothing to do with opinions. It is about the mis-statement of facts. I simply pointed out the simple business logic behind inventory management, which is not my opinion, it is a logistical way of life for most manufacturing companies. You're obviously just as ignorant as he for thinking that his allegations qualify as opinions. They are accusations and they are unfounded. If you're going to trash the company you work for you should at least make sense while doing it I think. Much as if you are going to stick up for somebody you don't know, your argument should at least make a little bit of sense, which in your case, it's far from it. You see, much of this stuff is simply common sense, but people like yourself and Furious whom are always thinking the company is out to get you would never see it that way because you're too ignorant to take the time to actually understand the basic ideas behind decisions that are being made. Pathetic!

I totally understand the theory of just in time delivery but, it has costs us production losses on more than one occasion. When they use to keep a cushion of stock in Lorain this never happened! Except in that nasty storm before the winter shutdown of 04'. I posted it to find out exactly why, knowing others from our plant use this forum! Your the one who has nothing but contempt for me. What allegations, The work is pre-scheduled and we didn't have the correct parts to build our quota. Is that a lie? I care about our jobs, plant, and our product. I can't see how this is positive for our image. I remember the upper management telling us in a town hall meeting that our customers are waiting for their vehicles. I guess this is all opinion and rhetoric though. I have no political agenda, and have no intention on running for anything. I'd just like to keep a job. Based on the sprinter sales, I foresee Mullaly bringing the transit to the U.S. and reducing or eliminating the Econoline production in the U.S. If I was a contractor I would like to stand up in my work van, just as I like to stand up in my semi's. That's why the Freightliner mid-roof and condo where such a success! Since it's inception every other truck manufacturer has produced it's own mid and high roof trucks!

Edited by Furious1Auto

I totally understand the theory of just in time delivery but, it has costs us production losses on more than one occasion. When they use to keep a cushion of stock in Lorain this never happened! Except in that nasty storm before the winter shutdown of 04'. I posted it to find out exactly why, knowing others from our plant use this forum! Your the one who has nothing but contempt for me. What allegations, The work is pre-scheduled and we didn't have the correct parts to build our quota. Is that a lie? I care about our jobs, plant, and our product. I can't see how this is positive for our image. I remember the upper management telling us in a town hall meeting that our customers are waiting for their vehicles. I guess this is all opinion and rhetoric though. I have no political agenda, and have no intention on running for anything. I'd just like to keep a job. Based on the sprinter sales, I foresee Mullaly bringing the transit to the U.S. and reducing or eliminating the Econoline production in the U.S. If I was a contractor I would like to stand up in my work van, just as I like to stand up in my semi's. That's why the Freightliner mid-roof and condo where such a success! Since it's inception every other truck manufacturer has produced it's own mid and high roof trucks!

The part of this you don't seem to get is the fact that our production schedule is not based on a per day number, it is based on a weeks production which is broken down into per shift, per day, averages for attainment. When we for some reason fall short of our shifts goals, those trucks are made up during the other shifts to follow. Very rarely does our plant miss it's weekly production goals, and certainly not because of a 1.5 hour short shift. It takes major downtime to prevent the plant from having the ability to make up lost production, which is where the voluntary Saturdays come in to play from time to time. So no, it does not make sense to have a "cushion" inventory on hand for the rare times that this occurs because the trucks are still produced during the week they were scheduled to be. It makes no sense to overproduce and overpurchase parts to avoid a situation that rarely occurs and doesn't hurt you very badly when it does . Got it now?

The part of this you don't seem to get is the fact that our production schedule is not based on a per day number, it is based on a weeks production which is broken down into per shift, per day, averages for attainment. When we for some reason fall short of our shifts goals, those trucks are made up during the other shifts to follow. Very rarely does our plant miss it's weekly production goals, and certainly not because of a 1.5 hour short shift. It takes major downtime to prevent the plant from having the ability to make up lost production, which is where the voluntary Saturdays come in to play from time to time. So no, it does not make sense to have a "cushion" inventory on hand for the rare times that this occurs because the trucks are still produced during the week they were scheduled to be. It makes no sense to overproduce and overpurchase parts to avoid a situation that rarely occurs and doesn't hurt you very badly when it does . Got it now?

Fair enough.

I went in and checked the DROT today and they screwed our entire line except two guys out of pay for their last break! Only three of us noticed and me and the guy next to me had the balls enough to confront the foreman and file a grievance. I can tolerate almost anything else but don't fuck with my earned income! Anyways I'm not sure if our local has even enough strength to handle a no-brain-er like this. Or will they fold at the thought of confrontation, we shall see?

There have been more grievances filed for the companies failure to pay for our last break after we have earned it! Everyone from the union and the company are trying to keep it under wraps because out of 2,400 people only a small % where paid, that's allot of grievance pay. If you guys weren't paid I'd go to labor and file! We are due 6 min. of paid break for every hour worked. We physically worked 6.6 hours and where due 39.6 min. We received 30 min. on the first half and are due 9.6 min. of paid break. Since the company pays in 10ths or 6 min. increments than we are due 2 tenths. The companies position is that we had to stay in a staging area during our break time to get paid! That's bullshit our break time is personal time and is ours to decide what we wish to due with it! They're attempting to set an unfavorable president. I earned said time and want my pay. I can't beleave that they're tiring to nickel and dime us.

Edited by Furious1Auto

Just a note on JIT parts sourcing. There is an entire industry that centers around expediting parts to auto plants to maintain production. While that delivery is expensive, it is cheaper than storing extra parts.

After I was laid off from Ford in '02, I worked in this industry delivering needed parts to many auto plants including OHAP. I would transport anything from 2 pallets of parts to a small box of parts that sat on the front seat (one of my deliveries to OHAP was a small box of labels).

These deliveries take place in the hours is takes to drive at highway speeds from the source plant to the assembly plant. In extreme circumstances deliveries would be made via helicopter.

Just a note on JIT parts sourcing. There is an entire industry that centers around expediting parts to auto plants to maintain production. While that delivery is expensive, it is cheaper than storing extra parts.

After I was laid off from Ford in '02, I worked in this industry delivering needed parts to many auto plants including OHAP. I would transport anything from 2 pallets of parts to a small box of parts that sat on the front seat (one of my deliveries to OHAP was a small box of labels).

These deliveries take place in the hours is takes to drive at highway speeds from the source plant to the assembly plant. In extreme circumstances deliveries would be made via helicopter.

Panther, Tri-state, Fed-ex, and Jevic are some of the companies that provide these services. Like you said they're expensive. A small box could cost as much as a truck load!

Your asking the question..."And I'm an idiot"? Yes...........glad we have that question sorted out for ya'. Out.............

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the insight!

I received grievance pay for the beak time I had been docked for! Once again we earn our payed breaks based on the number of hours we actually work! weather or not we report to a staging area is irrelevant, it is illegal for the company to withhold earned income without prior written authorization from the affected employee! This is federal law!

Edited by Furious1Auto