2005 F150 small rust specs

OACville

I have a 2005 F150 and have noticed small rust specs ( salt shaker hole size, no bubbling ) all over the vehicle. From the doors to the tailgate to the body sides. What could be the cause of this. The truck is well taken care of and these are not stone chips. The truck is in mint shape otherwise. What could cause this problem and what could be the cure. Is this common or was there a problem with the ecoat.

The truck is silver in color so you can easily pick this up.

I have a 2005 F150 and have noticed small rust specs ( salt shaker hole size, no bubbling ) all over the vehicle. From the doors to the tailgate to the body sides. What could be the cause of this. The truck is well taken care of and these are not stone chips. The truck is in mint shape otherwise. What could cause this problem and what could be the cure. Is this common or was there a problem with the ecoat.

The truck is silver in color so you can easily pick this up.

Could be rail dust from when the truck was shipped, have you every tried Claying the truck to remove contaminants using a Clay Bar?

• 4 weeks later...

I've had three White Ford trucks with the same problem, but what I found out was that it not rail dust, it's brake dust!

It's a by-product of the cheap metal brake pads that come with the truck. You don't see them (spots)on darker models.

The reason I know it is not rail dust is because my truck was never on a train.

The best thing you can do when you buy a brand new truck is to change the pads as soon as you can.

If you can't do that, then you need to wash your truck regularly and keep the dust to a minimum.

As stated before, you will have to buff the truck with a clay compound, or you can do it by hand if you're a strong willed person.

Gil